Extremely High Phosphate count

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 10:58

If one properly maintains their Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level and is already ahead of algae growth, then the phosphate level is irrelevant. Unfortunately, the 1-3 ppm FC with 60-80 ppm CYA recommendations from most SWG manufacturers is not sufficient. The FC needs to be at least 5% of the CYA level at all times in an SWG pool.

There are many pools with thousands (some even tens of thousands) ppb of phosphate in the pool and do not get algae nor unusual chlorine demand and the SWG is able to keep up because the proper FC/CYA ratio is maintained. So you need to think of phosphate removers in the same vein as algaecides. They aren't necessary unless you are unwilling to properly maintain the FC/CYA level, but lowering the phosphate level significantly will make the pool less "reactive" so algae will grow much more slowly if the FC/CYA gets too low.

Now if you have a very high phosphate level in an SWG pool and also have a high Calcium Hardness (CH) level, then you can get calcium phosphate scaling in the SWG cell and that can reduce its output. So if one can't get the CH level lowered, then lowering the phosphate level is an option.

visitor

Postby visitor » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:33

Chem geek,
I'm reading you on the fc / cya balance.
However, My Jandy swg flow sensor has gone out 3 times in 7 years. SWG system has never performed properly. Spoke to Jandy/Zodiac Customer service yesterday. They say the high phosphates will ruin their flow sensors & told me I need to get phosphates down to zero to prevent damage before i install another sensor. Have you ever heard of that? Are they making excuses or does their recommendation have merit? I have never checked phosphate level and intend to get some readings.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 11 Apr, 2013 23:57

Well why don't you try that and let us know if it makes a difference in the life of the flow sensor. Also let us know the phosphate and calcium levels before you use the phosphate remover.
Anna

Postby Anna » Wed 15 May, 2013 15:45

Did you ever get an answer to your high phosphates issue. I also have a customer with SW indoor pool and and can't figure out where the phosphates are coming from. We have tried various removers and the level doesn't budge.

Be interested in finding out how you remedied the situation.
Blah blah balh

Postby Blah blah balh » Fri 17 May, 2013 21:23

Check the fill water its there.
Blah blah blah

Postby Blah blah blah » Fri 17 May, 2013 21:36

Chemgeek only gives the chemical side of things that should be a fix but never the enviroment that surrounds the pool which can effect the chemicals. Lots of debris around the pool that fall in can throw the chemicals out of wack very fast, dirty filters, pump baskets being full, auto cleaners being jammed, timers not running long enough, gardens by the pool over flowing into the pool, lots of swimmers, dogs swimming in the pool, under sized filters. So not only does the chlorine & conditioner magically control the problem lots of things do but starting with chemical balance is good but not the over all fix as sometimes more than chlorine is needed.
Ideas?

Vacume

Postby Ideas? » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 15:26

I have an endless pool so it is a challenge to vacuum. The phosphates are sitting all over the pool bottom and benches. I have to use a vacuum attached to a hose. The mesh will not collect the phosphate....Without emptying the pool and without adding chemicals is there a way to vacuum it up? Other that that the pool water is crystal clear. Thanks.
Margie
Addz

Postby Addz » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:21

Id floc the pool, twice if ness. The regulary add a Phosphate remover. 250ml a month give or take.
saltwaterpoolusa

Postby saltwaterpoolusa » Wed 28 May, 2014 19:50

I have had my salt water pool for 5 years now and our first year we did not remove the phosphates and it was a nightmare with algae and how hard the cell was working. Lowered the phosphates (used Natural Chemistry's PHOSfree, because it didnt cloud or NO vacumming, thank GOD) and ever since that summer our pool has been so much easier to maintain and we save so much money and hours on our cell.
Chiefsurfer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 35,000 gallon

Re: Extremely High Phosphate count

Postby Chiefsurfer » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 12:47

Hey guys. Got a question for you. I am having an issue with keeping a free chlorine level. I bought a house with a poorly maintained pool, and have been battling this for 3 years now. I have thrown in over 70 lbs of shock in one week, in a 35,000 gallon pool, to no avail, never getting over 0.1ppm FC level. I have now noticed that my Phosphates are very high, and have been battling algae constantly. I have used about 3 gallons of Phos-Free, and it "seemingly" has not lowered my phosphate levels at all. My current test only goes up to 1,000 PPB. I have found a few different testers that go up to 2,500 ppb, but I have seen here and other places, readings of people getting over 5,000 ppb levels. Can anyone give me advice on what testers are out there that measure a very high level? Given my problems and resistance to ever resolving the issue, I assume the levels are very high. I will add, my well water has levels of phosphate above 1,000 ppb, so that is certainly a source of my phosphate. I don't have an issue with regular maintenance including phosphate removing chemicals, but it would be nice to have a test that would show if I am getting any improvement. Thanks in advance.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Extremely High Phosphate count

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 13:17

What are your levels? If your CYA is high it will use a lot of chlorine

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”