PH/TA Can't seem to balance. Help.......

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
glogan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Doughboy Above Ground With 6 ft Deep End
Sand Filter
15,500 gallons
Chlorine

Postby glogan » Thu 14 May, 2009 11:48

We have had our pool for about 15 years. This year I can't seem to get the pool up and running. The TA and PH are low. I add Alkalinty Up / Soda Ash (Leslie's Products) and although it comes up it will not stay up. When I get TA and PH balanced I hit it hard with Chlorine but by the next day the Chlorine is gone and the TA/PH are low again. I have vacuumed, brushed the walls, backwashed, changed the sand and still have a green pool with unbalanced chemicals. Any help would be appreciated.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 16 May, 2009 13:12

If it's clear green, then this could be copper so have the pool store check for metals. If it's cloudy murky green, then this is more likely algae and you need to maintain a high FC level relative to the CYA level as described in Defeating Algae.

I don't know why the pH and TA are dropping so much unless you are adding some sort of acid. For example, is the chlorine you are using Trichlor powder or Dichlor powder/granules? These are net acidic when accounting for chlorine usage. You should instead be using unstabilized chlorine such as chlorinating liquid (or bleach).

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”