Can't get acid pump to lower pH level

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
Rick Sass
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Rick Sass » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:02

I installed a Stenner variable speed acid pump with a #1 pump tube that discharges a maximum of 5 GPD on a #10 pump setting (maximum). I'm diluting the acid 4:1 with water. I'm also using a Goldline controller which has a 2 hour maximum run time for the acid pump.

I'm trying to lower the pH from 7.8 to 7.6 and the acid pump times out and I have to reset the controller every two hours. Are these systems designed to just "maintain" pH level or can they "lower" the pH level. All that is happening is the pH is not rising, but I can't lower the pH level.

Do I need to increase the concentration of acid or change the pump tube to a #2 which discharges up to 17 GPD to have the pump actually lower the pH level or manually add acid to get to the desired pH level and then have the acid pump "maintain" that level?

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:00

5gpd did sound a bit low so maybe the answer is a bigger feed rate. On the other hand, overfeed timers while very useful are usually adjustable. I haven't looked at a Goldline controller so I don't know for sure.
jeff mac

Postby jeff mac » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 15:26

I a'm thinking about changing from CO2 to the acid pump due to having to change out CO2 cylinders too often. I also have the Goldline controller. Have you had any luck with the pump yet?

Thanks for any help with this

Jeff
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 17:48

5 gallons of 4:1 acid is more than a gallon of acid per day! That should drop your PH like a rock unless you have a huge pool.

What size is your pool and what is the concentration of acid?
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”