PH reading

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
rarebreed
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24ft round above ground w/ HP EC40 filter.

PH reading

Postby rarebreed » Thu 09 Jul, 2009 19:56

I've had my 24ft round pool since '87 and never had this situation. My PH test color is a very dark reddish orange, similar to a very high chlorine level, but somewhere outside the PH color scale. Am I too high or too low, and how much of what should I add to get it within proper range? I have never been outside the test kit color range before.

Swim Today
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

PH reading

Postby Swim Today » Sat 11 Jul, 2009 09:29

Darker colors on most test kits usually mean to high a level. If it is that high that it's off the chart try adding a ph down or ph minus to the water. In your case where you don't know the exact reading and with a 24' round pool try adding about 3lbs of the ph down and see where that puts you. You can also bring a water sample to a pool store in your area. A lot of them now feature computerized testing which can give you a more exact reading beyond what a regular test kit may register on where your ph may be.
Bjorn
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: My pool is oval 4 x 8m. You can see it here: http://www.poolguide.dk

PH reading

Postby Bjorn » Sat 11 Jul, 2009 19:36

Good idea to have the water tested - or you can also start with hydrochloric acid into skimmers - a little at a time - and try to do your tests again.
rarebreed
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24ft round above ground w/ HP EC40 filter.

PH reading

Postby rarebreed » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 20:17

Swim Today wrote:Darker colors on most test kits usually mean to high a level. If it is that high that it's off the chart try adding a ph down or ph minus to the water. In your case where you don't know the exact reading and with a 24' round pool try adding about 3lbs of the ph down and see where that puts you. You can also bring a water sample to a pool store in your area. A lot of them now feature computerized testing which can give you a more exact reading beyond what a regular test kit may register on where your ph may be.

Well thanks. In all the years I've had this pool there's been a bucket of PH minus on the shelf. Never had to use it ....... til now. But I'll get a new one and give it a shot.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

PH reading

Postby czechmate » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 21:04

Acid in the skimmer is not exactly wise suggestion. Even beginer knows that much.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”