PH and ALK low

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
sherryinfl

PH and ALK low

Postby sherryinfl » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 13:57

We just switched our pool to a salt system. I can not get the ph or the TA up. Both very low. On the strip the ph is so low it reads as bright yellow. Any suggestions?

lbridges
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: Geometric 16K gal shotcrete w/exposed aggregate; Pentair EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, VS-3050 pump, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG; Heliocol solar. Rocky's reel

PH and ALK low

Postby lbridges » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 18:52

Low TA buffers (moderates) the pH, causing it to rise slower than, well than a pool with a higher TA level.

You don't say what the levels are, so more specific advise is difficult.

In general, soda ash both raises pH and TA - a cost effective source is Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster (Note: NOT the same as Arm & Hammer laundry detergent).
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

PH and ALK low

Postby chem geek » Wed 14 Jul, 2010 20:35

You are using test strips so who knows what is really going on with your pool. Please get yourself a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100 test kit. As was noted above, raising pH and TA together is easy to do using Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (aka as pH Up in pool stores, but much more expensive -- both are sodium carbonate).
Steve F.

PH and ALK low

Postby Steve F. » Sun 15 May, 2011 16:07

Yes, I understand that soda ash raises ph, but I've put the soda ash that I have in a jar (the original container dissolved) and I have no instructions. Rather than just throwing some in the pool(and then
maybe going back and forth with acid) can you give me some guide lines?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

PH and ALK low

Postby chem geek » Mon 16 May, 2011 00:25

You can use The Pool Calculator to calculate approximate dosages. I'd add half of what is indicated and retest, then add more if needed. Please get yourself a proper test kit since if the test strips are wrong, say about TA, then you may get your pH in line and overshoot your TA level.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”