No chlorine levels

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Ozz

No chlorine levels

Postby Ozz » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 13:42

I started the season with a high total chlorine (6.5) and normal free chlorine (1.9) levels. Slowly both levels have come down to the point that they are both at zero. The rest of my chems are perfect and have been perfect all season. I have a salt generator pool and I notice when I am generating chlorine there are tiny bubbles coming to the surface of the water directly above all of the returns. When I turn off the generator the bubbles disappear. What could be causing my chlorine to burn off? I have tested the water coming directly out of the returns and the cell itself and there is chlorine being generated, but as soon as the chlorine hits the pool it's gone. I've also noticed that my skimmer baskets are starting to slowly turn a yelIowish-brown which has never happened before. I spoke with a Hayward rep and the diagnostics all check out. We've tested for ammonia and phosphates and they are both negative. We have shocked the pool three times in the last 3 weeks, to no avail. No one knows what to do or whats going on. Please help!!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: No chlorine levels

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 14:15

If you have total chlorine of 6.5 and a free chlorine of 1.9 then you have a combined chlorine of 4.6
You need to Slam your pool http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl Don't miss anything or take shortcuts
Check your Cyanuric acid is appropiate for your chlorine level http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock you may need to increase your chlorine with liquid chlorine (bleach). Check the pool maths http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
I have also read that your pool water should be at 3000ppm for the SWG to work correctly
Freaken Rican
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 x 36 in-ground salt generator pool with a DE filter

Postby Freaken Rican » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 15:00

My SWG panel says my salt is 3300, my CYA is 60. Why the little air bubbles (I only get the air bubbles whe the SWG is on) when the water from the returns gets back to the pool? I will be shocking it tonight with some strong stuff for the second time in 3 days. Also, water tested directly from the back end of the generator and the returns shows chlorine. I will try slamming it like you suggested. Thank you I will keep you posted.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 16:21

Your SWG maintains a level when you are correctly balanced
If your CYA is 60 it may pay you to raise it to 70 which is recommended and slam with liquid chlorine at 28ppm which you need to maintain
Follow the instructions completely
Freaken Rican
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 x 36 in-ground salt generator pool with a DE filter

Postby Freaken Rican » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 16:41

I just slammed it, and will re-check the levels in a couple of hours and before bed. Is it safe to say that if I have FC levels above 2 and CC at 0.5 or below in the morning that my issue is resolved?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 03:09

No
You have to maintain the recommended shock level for your CYA untill you pass the OCLT (which means you should only lose 1ppm overnight)
Read the slamming procedure carefully
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 00:03

Its best to get in touch with professional.

Return to “Chlorine”