Over chlorination?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
dollard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Over chlorination?

Postby dollard » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 10:19

I have a salt water pool that usually functions very well. I had not tested the chlorine level for awhile as it is always what it should be. I thought it was time to shock the pool yesterday so I added Biolim HitOK. I added maybe 10% more than normal as some tiles in one area of the water had a slight brown stain. So I checked the Cl level after shocking it and it was higher than I have ever seen it.
Instead of being some shade of yellow the test kit showed orange/brown color. I use the Interwater basic test kit that shows shades of yellow from 0.3 to 3.0. 15 hours later the color still shows orange/brown when I test for Cl. Can this just be Cl too high or is there something else going on. I only test for Cl and pH. pH is fine.

dollard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: Over chlorination?

Postby dollard » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 13:25

A local pool place tells me the orange color just shows over chlorination and It will get back to normal itself.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Over chlorination?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 14 Oct, 2017 08:34

A properly chlorinated pool never requires shocking unless you have a problem (algae) and then you need to Slam with reference to your Chlorine / CYA Chart
Don't buy the pool store products and use these common products to adjust your levels
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

The chlorine will reduce quiet quickly with the sun on it
You really need to get a decent test kit as .3 to 3.0 is at the lower end of recommended chlorination
Check out Pool Levels

Return to “Chlorine”