Which way is right on Chlorine?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
jbop65
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14,000 gallon pool.

Which way is right on Chlorine?

Postby jbop65 » Sat 08 Jun, 2019 18:09

I've worked with two different pool cleaning companies and it always seems one company said you were trained wrong.

Let me explain. Pool company A says they want to see you adding 2.5 gallons of chlorine to a pool if the chlorine level is below 5 ppm they also say if you go back the following week to service pool and you get a zero chlorine level and all other readings are good your not doing something right. pool company A also wants to see your CYA Level around 80

Company B says 2.5 gallons of chlorine is way to much for the pool and on a 13,000-15,000 gallon pool 1 gallon of chlorine is perfect and a tab in the floater. they also said that if you go back the following week yes you should be getting a 0 reading on chlorine it means it did its job. they also said they never want the CYA levels in a pool to be more then 40 or the chlorine wont do its job.

So A says more chlorine higher CYA
B says less chlorine add tab to floater....tabs have stabilizer in them so it would raise my CYA Level right?
So which company is right?
I tend to be on safer side so I don't have pools with Alage growth
Adding acid lowers PH does it affect Chlorine and Alkinlinity levels?

Thanks for the input.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Which way is right on Chlorine?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 03:07

Welcome jbop65
Higher CYA is definately out as it makes your chlorine ineffective
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

Are you going to maintain the pool yourself. If so get a decent FAS/DPD test kit and don't put a weeks worth of chlorine in
Are your gallons US or UK? you can use Pool Maths to work out how much to use
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Which way is right on Chlorine?

Postby Teapot » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 03:39

As Dennis said and I second, get a decent tester and own your pool. That way with help on here you can get rid of both A & B pool companies. Both are guiding you wrongly.
You might run with CYA levels of 60-70 if you had a salt chlorine generator or if you are located in the desert.
You want to be adding less chlorine in each dose but more frequently. Is this something you feel you could do un-aided? Once of course you buy a decent tester and not dip strips

Return to “Chlorine”