New Pool Chlorine Levels (saltwater)

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
audiokat
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex ultra xtr with saltwater system.

New Pool Chlorine Levels (saltwater)

Postby audiokat » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 10:51

Just installed this pool last weekend. It's an intex ultra frame 32x16x48" so I'm assuming the size stretches the limits of the saltwater cell.

Pool was full on Saturday and saltwater system was producing free chlorine Saturday night. I added shock and algaecide to start with and ordered some stabilizer. I've ran the saltwater cell about 12 hours a day for the past 2-3 days.

Fast forward to today and I'm still down at .6ppm. I just added the 40ppm of stabilizer which I'm sure will help and it's been very hot and sunny for three days.

I'm worried if I don't get the chlorine dialed in quicker It will start to have issues. Question is should I:

A: Shock once more
B: Use chlorine to avoid any of the shock chemicals I don't necessarily need
C. Take the risk and keep running the saltwater cell overtime hoping it eventually catches up.
D. Some other cool plan I haven't thought of.

Thanks for the help!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: New Pool Chlorine Levels (saltwater)

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 03 Jul, 2019 07:59

What is your salt content your cell info should tell you what's needed
You have just over 2000 cubic feet
Which is 12800 UK gallons or 15000 US gallons
What is your cell rated for. They should be double what your pool is. The cell rating is for 24/7
With a SWCG you need to have a CYA 70-80 as indicated in Chlorine / CYA Chart
A Shock is chlorine
B Add Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) right away to bring up your chlorine otherwise algae will start with 0.6ppm
C You can try running 24/7 to see if it does boost the chlorine but get it up first

Return to “Chlorine”