Bleach effect on a salt pool?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Bleach effect on a salt pool?

Postby RonPace » Mon 01 Aug, 2022 15:03

Recently my SWG box had to be replaced when I then used non stabiliser tablets and then bleach without asking the question of the consequences, if any,
The SWG is back, but with the hot weather, the pool is bery popular, so I am throwing in bleach as well to raise the chlorine immediately.

Is this doing any harm? My readings are all consistent, so I am hoping not. Tablets add calcium I know, does bleach 9.5% add anything?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Bleach effect on a salt pool?

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 01 Aug, 2022 16:56

Only a bit of salt once the chlorine breaks down so same as your salt pool only difference is you make chlorine on site rather than buying in, the process is much the same.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
RonPace
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: Uncovered inground 12x6M, Cl and Ph solenoid doser. Glass media filter. South France

Postby RonPace » Tue 02 Aug, 2022 02:44

Thanks teapot, I thought/hoped this would be the case and no harm to anything else. It is quite amazing to see first hand how much the chlorine level falls after several people use the pool on a sunny day. We have unusually hot days here this year, so I have bought a few cannisters of bleach in the corner that get emptied pretty quickly!
I finally found a submersible pump that could be converted to an aerator as you describe. After a few days on and off, my test yesterday showed a TA drop from 140 to 117 with my Ph staying at 7.7. Normally, last week I would have thrown in some PH minus at 150 with the risk of setting off a chemical merry go round, so maybe this aeration trick is one to reckon with! I will see nex week if it falls below 100 which is my target! It is not the most elegant of pool accessories, but hey, if it works...!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 02 Aug, 2022 04:50

Don't forget that when your pH rises you need acid to reduce it and your TA

Return to “Chlorine”