Best Chlorine form

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Honey
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Best Chlorine form

Postby Honey » Sat 23 Jan, 2016 15:01

What do you think what is the best type of chlorine?
1. Liquid
2. Tablets
3. Granular

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Re: Best Chlorine form

Postby chem geek » Sun 24 Jan, 2016 01:30

The following are chemical facts that are independent of concentration of product or of pool size and can help answer your question.

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

Chlorinating liquid or bleach does not add CYA nor CH into the water. The downside is that you need to add chlorine every day or two unless you have a pool cover in which case you might be able to add it twice a week. The reason that Trichlor tabs/pucks are so popular is that they slowly dissolve so last nearly for a week, but the buildup of CYA reduces the active chlorine level (since more chlorine is bound to CYA) and that allows algae to grow faster than chlorine can kill it.

Dichlor is granular and adds CYA even faster than Trichlor. Cal-Hypo is granular but builds up CH though on a percentage basis it builds up more slowly than CYA. Lithium hypochlorite is granular and has no CYA nor CH buildup but is very expensive.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 24 Jan, 2016 06:22

I find that Chlorinating liquid or bleach keeps my pool in balance with the minimum of adjustment
I would recommend it
Honey
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Honey » Sun 24 Jan, 2016 14:30

I heard somewhere that liquid chlorine is not safe for pool water. maybe it is flammable
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Mon 25 Jan, 2016 02:30

Liquid chlorine is no less safe than any other form of chlorine. Once in the water it becomes hypochlorous acid in its active state. That is true for all chlorine types.
If you feel your liquid chlorine is not safe, read the safety warnings on the label and then share any worries about those warnings here so we can address your issues.

Larry
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby paulbest » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 23:34

LIQUID are generally used in larger commercial pool as they find economic advantage on it. Liquid chlorine does have it’s drawbacks however. It’s not stabilized, like tablets are, so even more Cyanuric Acid will be needed to shield the chlorine from the sun. Secondly, liquid chlorine has a very high pH level, close to 13 – which requires users to keep a lot of acid on hand, to lower the pH level as needed. It’s not very well suited for use on residential pools, due to it’s limited availability in most parts of the country.

TABLETS are for everyday chlorination. this type of chlorine is slow dissolving and slow reacting. These tablets are known as TriChlor, short for Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione. Pressed into tablet or stick form, they are easy and safe to store and handle. Just drop enough tablets into your chlorine floater or automatic chlorinator, to raise the chlorine level in the pool above 1.0ppm.

Chlorine tablets can also be purchased in 1 inch tabs. These are suitable for chlorinating small pools or spas. Another benefit is that 1″ tabs dissolve slightly more rapidly than 3″ tabs, due to their increased surface area. This can be beneficial when the chlorine level needs to be brought up rapidly.

GRANULAR chlorine can be dangerous if allowed to mix with other compounds or chemicals – including soda pop, antifreeze, algaecide, dirt, leaves. Fast and explosive reactions can occur, with a strong and violent fire that is almost impossible to extinguish.
odbob
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: British 30ft x 8ft x 4ft deep indoor pool, I micron bag filter, 3kw electric heater, maintained at 31.5 degC all year round

Postby odbob » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 02:49

Cheap bleach from my local supermarket, 2 litres added after each swim, works for me
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 12:16

paulbest wrote:LIQUID are generally used in larger commercial pool as they find economic advantage on it. Liquid chlorine does have it’s drawbacks however. It’s not stabilized, like tablets are, so even more Cyanuric Acid will be needed to shield the chlorine from the sun. Secondly, liquid chlorine has a very high pH level, close to 13 – which requires users to keep a lot of acid on hand, to lower the pH level as needed. It’s not very well suited for use on residential pools, due to it’s limited availability in most parts of the country.

TABLETS are for everyday chlorination. this type of chlorine is slow dissolving and slow reacting. These tablets are known as TriChlor, short for Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione. Pressed into tablet or stick form, they are easy and safe to store and handle. Just drop enough tablets into your chlorine floater or automatic chlorinator, to raise the chlorine level in the pool above 1.0ppm.

Chlorine tablets can also be purchased in 1 inch tabs. These are suitable for chlorinating small pools or spas. Another benefit is that 1″ tabs dissolve slightly more rapidly than 3″ tabs, due to their increased surface area. This can be beneficial when the chlorine level needs to be brought up rapidly.

Utter rubbish
Using stabilised chlorine adds Cyanuric acid which when it gets to high reduces the effectiveness of the chlorine
The only way to reduce the Cyanuric acid is to partial drain and refill
Check out Chem Geek's post
spartacus
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have got Intex

Postby spartacus » Mon 08 May, 2017 16:16

I use an above ground pool. I read on the site http://bestlinepool.com.ua/ chlorine tablets can damage the pool surface

Return to “Chlorine”