why chlorine in pools?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
JamesForth
I'm new here
I'm new here

why chlorine in pools?

Postby JamesForth » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:06

I was wondering what folks are using to chlorinate their pools. I use trichlor granules. Please leave comments with reasons why you use the chlorine?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: why chlorine in pools?

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:48

Trichlor granules have Cyanuric acid in them which build up over time. This is undesirable as your chlorine usage will increase. The only way to lower it is to partially drain and refill
Use Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite, bleach)
Chlorine is used to sanitise the pool
Bonns
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Always been a fan of the 17' endless pool spa. It even has a water purification system. Just love it.

Postby Bonns » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 03:50

Liquid chlorine's, I've heard are good to disinfect the pool. But still aren't they harmful for kids?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 08:04

No more harmful than any other chlorine
We have young children using the pool without any side effects
odbob
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: British 30ft x 8ft x 4ft deep indoor pool, I micron bag filter, 3kw electric heater, maintained at 31.5 degC all year round

Postby odbob » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 11:02

Cyanuric acid build up is a problem, I had to virtually drain my pool after just 5 years use, chlorine (bleach) in it's simplest form is the best answer for me.
Ella Rollins
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Ella Rollins » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 06:21

Chlorine is an good disinfectant.. It sanitizes the pool.
PoolDeckServices
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: At Wellington Pool Deck Resurfacing and Repairs, we understand how this Florida weather can beat down the surface on your pool deck. When you first got your pool installed and walked on that beautiful cool deck, it was great.

Postby PoolDeckServices » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 05:38

Chlorine is the chemical most often used to keep swimming pools and Jacuzzis free of bacteria that can be hazardous to humans. Chlorine kills bacteria though a fairly simple chemical reaction. The chlorine solution you pour into the water breaks down into many different chemicals, including hypochlorous acid (HOCl) and hypochlorite ion (OCl-). Both kill microorganisms and bacteria by attacking the lipids in the cell walls and destroying the enzymes and structures inside the cell, rendering them oxidized and harmless.
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby paulbest » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 23:30

For everyday chlorination, we want to use a type of chlorine that is slow dissolving and slow reacting. The best chlorine to use for everyday chlorination are tablets or sticks. These tablets are known as TriChlor, short for Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione. Pressed into tablet or stick form, they are easy and safe to store and handle. Just drop enough tablets into your chlorine floater or automatic chlorinator, to raise the chlorine level in the pool above 1.0ppm.

Chlorine tablets can also be purchased in 1 inch tabs. These are suitable for chlorinating small pools or spas. Another benefit is that 1″ tabs dissolve slightly more rapidly than 3″ tabs, due to their increased surface area. This can be beneficial when the chlorine level needs to be brought up rapidly.

Chlorine sticks are made with the same recipe used for 3″ and 1″ tablets, they are just pressed into a different shape. For some chlorinator styles, the stick form seems to fit better, filling the chamber more fully. Chlorine sticks are also larger than tablets; this may mean fewer trips to refill the chlorinator. Other than that, sticks and tablets are essentially the same.
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Poonamdpi » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 07:00

Hello,

Chlorine in pools needed because it prevents the bacteria and germs. Chlorine kills bacteria through a fairly simple chemical reaction.
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 01:51

Chlorine is used to keep swimming pools free of bacteria that can be hazardous to humans.

Return to “Chlorine”