Chlorine tablets in Skimmers

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
lima
I'm new here
I'm new here

Chlorine tablets in Skimmers

Postby lima » Wed 01 Nov, 2006 05:08

I live in Almeria Spain and there is a debate going on here amongst expats about putting slow dissolving chlorine tablets in the skimmers. Apparently, this can cause problems with the pump and pipe work due to the chlorine dissolving whilst the pump is off resulting in a high concentration of chlorine that is sent direct to the pump when it comes on via the timer. Anyone here heard anything about this please?

Re: Chlorine tablets in Skimmers

Postby Guest » Thu 02 Nov, 2006 11:13

lima wrote:I live in Almeria Spain and there is a debate going on here amongst expats about putting slow dissolving chlorine tablets in the skimmers. Apparently, this can cause problems with the pump and pipe work due to the chlorine dissolving whilst the pump is off resulting in a high concentration of chlorine that is sent direct to the pump when it comes on via the timer. Anyone here heard anything about this please?

That is correct. While the pump is off the chlorine tablet still dissoves, albeit more slowly than if the pump was on, and this creates a very high concentration of chlorine in the skimmer basket, combined with a low pH. When the pump is turned on, all this highly concentrated chlorine is sent to the pump and through the plumbing. It will eventually cause premature damage to the pump and/or equipment. So... Either let the filtration run 24 hours/day or use a flotation device and hang the tablet outside of skimmer area. Or... Don't use tablets at all :-)

Return to “Chlorine”