Salt = Chlorine?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
pooluser

Re: Salt = Chlorine?

Postby pooluser » Mon 12 Feb, 2007 13:24

Scarlett wrote:Ok i know this is a stupid question but on the test kits does the chlorine level result reflect the ammount of salt in the pool?

i have a salt water pool with a thing that is supposed to turn the salt to chlorine
when i test it shows low levels of chlorine
but the pool water tastes very salty
i am also having ph problems in that the pool requires frequent acid top ups to maintain the ph
is that normal?

i know stupid questions
but once the pool was finished we had absolutely no hand over on maintainence as they guy was then trying to sell someone coming around each week to do the work

no, they're two different things and you need to measure both. you may have salt in the pool but no chlorine generation. and you may have the cells running at full throttle but producing little chlorine becasue of low salt.

the increase in ph is normal because of the process involved in chlorine production (not so much the production of sodium hydroxide as a side effect but the outgassing during the production of chlorine within the cell). if you don't correct it it will naturally settle in at about 7.8.

if it's a new (inground) pool that's still curing then the ph rise is normal as the new surface releases calcium hydroxide as it cures.

Scarlettvixen

Postby Scarlettvixen » Wed 14 Feb, 2007 05:25

dynamictiger wrote:Yes

ok i have friday off i will take some to the pool shop and get it tested then
thanks for your help!

am i the only one who cant log in btw? i keep getting mysql errors when i try

Return to “Chlorine”