Poolife NST Tabs - not working good

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
creativepart
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 gal in ground

Poolife NST Tabs - not working good

Postby creativepart » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 12:52

We have a 10,000 gal pools, DE filtered that has always been pretty well stable and balanced (6-years). I have an Ozone system which should help keep chlorine in the pool. We live in South Texas (north of San Antonio). So, LOTS of sun and heat.

We had issues with CYA getting over 100 so we stopped using stabilized tabs and switched to non-stabilized chlorine that came in tube shaped plastic containers. That chlorinated fine and all we had to do was discard the plastic tubes.

Our pool shop stopped carrying those and switched to Poolife NST tabs. You just drop them in the skimmer. But since switching we don't seem to get much chlorine in the water. It's testing so low it's almost non-existent. We have a little green growth on surfaces, just a trace in one or two spots - mostly on the tile around the skimmers.

We get a fair amount of plant debris in our pool so when I clean out the skimmer baskets I'm finding hard chlorine stuck to the mesh and gumming up with the plant debris. When dumping the skimmer basket now I have a mess of debris from both the plants and the NST tabs PLUS my pool registers next to no Chlorine at all. I have to pick up and discard all the chunks of remaining tabs by hand so no animals get into the stuff.

Is there some way better to do this? Anyone else using Poolife NST tabs and getting good results?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Poolife NST Tabs - not working good

Postby Teapot » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 14:57

Liquid chlorine and a dosing pump. Calcium hypochlorite (Poolife NST) will build up the calcium level and then you'll have issues with scale formation.
What are your water test results and not from dip strips?
What is your pool? concretetile/plaster or vinyl liner/GRP?
creativepart
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 gal in ground

Postby creativepart » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 15:35

Teapot wrote:Liquid chlorine and a dosing pump. Calcium hypochlorite (Poolife NST) will build up the calcium level and then you'll have issues with scale formation.
What are your water test results and not from dip strips?
What is your pool? concretetile/plaster or vinyl liner/GRP?

The Pool is 10,000 gals gunite/plaster. Less than .05 reading on chlorine. I don't use test strips for anything but CYA. The water test kit shows almost totally clear on Chlorine. PH is usually only slightly high. I don't go through very much acid at all and total alkalinity is good at around 100 (80 to 120 is the normal range). I tested it today and it was 90. I typically use between a pint to a quart of acid per week.

When I had a CYA problem a year or so ago I was up to 150 on CYA but now I hover around 30 to 40. The pool is 6+ years old and we used stabilized tabs in an in-line feeder for the first 5 years. We never even heard of CYA until last year when the pool maintenance people started warning about it.

Even using the non-stabilized chlorine last year in the plastic tubes (I don't know what they were called the tubes were about 3" long and 1" diameter in non-desolvable plastic tubes open at top and bottom) we never had this problem. As it is now. I almost never see a normal chlorine level and I work on the pool every 5 to 7 days.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 19 Aug, 2019 02:36

Get some Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Use Pool Maths to work out how much to use in relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart
Then after testing in the evening perform the overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) This will tell if you have any other hidden algae problems

Return to “Chlorine”