water mold

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: water mold

Postby Backglass » Mon 09 Jul, 2007 19:01

endlessly frustrated wrote:This will be the third time this season (since March) that I have chemically cleaned the filter. I am extremely frustrated and not optimistic that my water will ever be clear again. Any suggestions?

My suggestion? Dump the Baquacil and convert to chlorine. You will look back and wonder why you waited so long.

robinixie
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

no new status

Postby robinixie » Mon 09 Jul, 2007 20:59

hey chem, i am currently in need for a fc reading. i have exhausted all of my efforts and am seriously thinking of throwing in the towel. i am tossing the idea of hiring someone to take the task off of me. i have recieved the taylor k, i am getting 210 ta. (out of control-right). so i go to pool store to get mur. acid...brought a sample, only to hear that i have a low alk. reading of 70! i am losing sleep worring that i will lose my heater again. i would hire you in a heartbeat if you were in my area. i guess i wouldn't be upset of it was the begining of may. anyhow thanks for all of your advice. i might change my mind (who knows). i will still log on because these posts are almost adictive!!!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 09 Jul, 2007 23:18

If you lost your heater before, it was probably due to low pH and TA getting close to 0 from using Trichlor (which is highly acidic), does that sound right?

Anyway, your numbers are more likely to be right than the pool stores. Why not take your kit to the pool store and do the test in front of them and ask them to tell you what you are doing wrong (if anything) -- have them read the instructions with you. Maybe they'll get educated! Or take a pool water sample to another pool store and see what they measure.

If you do a full set of tests and post some numbers, we can give you some advice -- for a laugh, if nothing else! Seriously, unless you've shocked at high chlorine levels that were maintained and measured and that you know your true CYA level, then you really haven't combat this water mold yet. Stay with us...please.

Richard
robinixie
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby robinixie » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 20:12

hello, yeah u r right about the heater--came out one morn. only to find that my exchange had been totally eaten away. i am totally with alot of the "posters" in the fact that these pool companies suck!!! we are basically at there mercy (unless one educates themselves). think about it they truly need to make (rob us) from may until september. they are not really in it for the spas or fireplaces!!! i am a firm believer in the bbb method. i have been had...too many times to count from a discounted filter to a pump that was used (sold to me as new), and was already regeristered with previous owner. i am sooo tried of being taken advantage of it is sick. :cry: :cry: :cry: anyhow i finally have a slight fc reading=0.3 total=1.1 cc=0.8 tds=0 ph=7.5 cya=58 copper=0 iron=0 ta=165 adj ta=147 cal.hard.=231. god only know how much bleach and shock were dumped in all season. i already know that i will be draining next year at least half way. i hope that someone that is employed at one of these rip off joints known as "pool companies" reads this and understands how much you are screwing the consumer. Yeah 2 or 3 drinks at the bar pay for the bottle but the mark up on these chemicals is totally out of control. thanks for listening. good luck to all.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 20:45

Though the pool stores need to take some responsibility, most are just doing what the manufacturers tell them to do. It is some of the manufacturers of Trichlor and Dichlor (and algaecide and other specialty products) that tell the pool stores (and APSP that they sponsor) that CYA doesn't matter (at least not until 200 ppm, some of them say), that only 3 ppm FC is ever needed, etc. Or course they would be happy if you bought and used algaecide weekly and they recommend that and if everyone did that then their pools probably would not get algae -- so they aren't completely wrong, but they don't tell the whole truth either (i.e. that sufficient chlorine levels appropriate to CYA levels will also prevent algae).

So if you want to write a letter or E-mail someone, have it be the manufacturers of the products. I've tried contacting several directly and they just don't seem to want to consider facts that are inconsistent with what would maximize profit. Quite frankly, I think they are risking a lot if they just end up making too many consumers mad. Of course, it's not like *spamm* where cancer caused death -- no one died from getting pool algae (as far as I know).

Return to “Chlorine”