Oxidation of Cyanuric Acid with Hypochlorite

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Desjoyaux pool. Vinyl. 52000 liters. Desjoyaux filter bags, 6 and 15 microns. Pentair pool test kit for Cl and pH. Indonesia

Oxidation of Cyanuric Acid with Hypochlorite

Postby Okoth » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 00:12

Since I can't measure the CYA I have to estimate it. I'm trying to understand this study: http://www.poolhelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/JSPSI_V4N2_pp23-28.pdf
but I hope that someone can explain it in Sesame Street language so I'll understand it.

I know it's an estimation and even then it might be far off the real numbers (but it's better than nothing), but how much CYA is oxidated by sodium hypochlorite on a daily base when the water temperature is about 28 degrees Celsius?

The calculated CA loss rate using equation 7 is 0.87ppm/day at 85°F and an average of 4 ppm av. Cl. Data obtained for a sample of swimming pool water (4 ppm av. Cl, 138 ppm CA) at the same temperature showed a lower decomposition rate of 0.24 ppm/day at a ten-fold lower av. Cl/CA mol ratio of 0.06.

Would it be safe to say that the oxidation is around 0.25 ppm a day?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Oxidation of Cyanuric Acid with Hypochlorite

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 01:49

Yes around that, I had to reduce the CYA in a pool that measured 200ppm. Couldn't partially drain and refil because the drain ran into the high street and someone may have noticed 60m3 of water.
Took the chlorine very high and kept it there until we got the CYA down to 50ppm. A lot more expensive than changing the water! Still no algae for a while and his sister too about 3 months to the CYA back to 100ppm despite instruction to only use liquid chlorine, she was just a lazy puck type of person.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Okoth
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Desjoyaux pool. Vinyl. 52000 liters. Desjoyaux filter bags, 6 and 15 microns. Pentair pool test kit for Cl and pH. Indonesia

Re: Oxidation of Cyanuric Acid with Hypochlorite

Postby Okoth » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 06:24

:lol: she's even crazier than I.

Okay thanks again.

Return to “Chlorine”