Tablets VS granular or liquid

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
pucklordofchoas
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Tablets VS granular or liquid

Postby pucklordofchoas » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:45

is it possible for a very large scale pool say a few thousand gallons,to maintain a good chlorine level with a high bather load and a single 3"puck dispencer, or is it simply better to move to granular or liquid at that point?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 14:59

How big is big? You say "very large scale pool", "a few thousand gallons" but even a small round pool is five to ten thousand gallons.

The problem with pucks is they also add stabilizer which doesn't degrade and at some point you will have too much. Liquid is the cheapest in my opinion. A salt generator is the easiest, but then you have other potential (and hotly debated) issues.

Why do you ask the question? Are you having issues with pucks keeping up?
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
pucklordofchoas
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby pucklordofchoas » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 15:40

well, i work at ahot tub store, and we have been having more and more customers int he area comming to us for chemical supplies and questions, so im really just looking out to fullly educate my self on the subject so i can better serve them.

my manager says that pucks would not cut in in a floating dispencer but consistantly ive read online that it is a good way to go
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 20:47

Well, pucks do work fine for awhile. Then when the CYA builds up it takes more and more chlorine to sanitize and people will be coming into your store with high chlorine levels and STILL having green pools (like many who visit here). Pucks are great for vacations, startup, etc...but when used everyday create more problems then they cure in the long run.

For a really large pool...like a big municipal pool (75,000-100,000 gallons) a floater just doesn't make sense as you would need a dozen of them just to try to keep up...a single one in a pool of 50 kids wouldn't even begin to help. At some point the price points get big enough to warrant chlorine gas, but most just go with liquid in bulk.

As long as your CYA levels are in check (30-50) you don't need a floater as the chlorine will hang around while doing it's job.

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 13:06

now your CYA levels, is that constant no matter what the pool size, or does the concentration need to vary from size to size
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 13:11

Anonymous wrote:now your CYA levels, is that constant no matter what the pool size, or does the concentration need to vary from size to size

It is a constant and like chlorine measured in parts per million so the size of the pool doesn't matter (except when dosing of course).

pucklordofchoas
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby pucklordofchoas » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 13:16

ok i thought so just wanted to make sure, this forum has been really helpful, alot of the chemistry is the same as hot tubs as far as alk Ph and hardness adjustment and issues, but since we regularly use Bromine all this chlorine stuff throws me for a loop.

thanks again for all the help and any other comments or advice is welcomed with open arms

Return to “Chlorine”