trichlor tabs

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
cyberbryan
I'm new here
I'm new here

trichlor tabs

Postby cyberbryan » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 17:27

by weight percentage what is the breakdown of a trichlor puck between CYA and CL

thanks

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 18:22

This isn't really the right question to ask because the Free Chlorine level is measured in terms of parts-per-million of chlorine gas equivalent whereas the chlorine attached to CYA is three individual chlorine atoms. When Trichlor mixes with water, it produces hypochlorous acid as follows:

Trichlor + 3H2O --> CYA + 3HOCl
Trichlor + Water --> Cyanuric Acid + Hypochlorous Acid (chorine)

What can be said is that 1 pound of Trichlor produces the same CYA level as 8.886 ounces weight of Cyanuric Acid. So that implies that Trichlor is 55.5% CYA by weight.

However, you can't really say that Trichlor is 44.5% chlorine. One pound of Trichlor produces the same Free Chlorine (FC) level as 14.644 ounces weight of chlorine gas so is said to have 91.5% available chlorine. One pound (16 ounces weight) of Trichlor will raise the FC by the same amount as 26.4 ounces weight of Dichlor, 22.7 ounces weight of 65% Cal-Hypo, 14.0 cups of 12.5% chlorinating liquid, or 28.4 cups of 6% bleach.

One 3" Trichlor puck is usually 8 ounces weight or half a pound, though some pucks are 7 ounces or 6 ounces (depending on brand).

Another way of looking at this is that for every 1 ppm FC added by Trichlor you also add 0.6 ppm CYA.

Richard
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 20:53

chem geek wrote:This isn't really the right question to ask because the Free Chlorine level is measured in terms of parts-per-million of chlorine gas equivalent whereas the chlorine attached to CYA is a single chlorine atom. When Trichlor mixes with water, it produces hypochlorous acid as follows:

Trichlor + 3H2O --> CYA + 3HOCl

What can be said is that 1 pound of Trichlor produces the same CYA level as 8.886 ounces weight of Cyanuric Acid. So that implies that Trichlor is 55.5% CYA by weight.

However, you can't really say that Trichlor is 44.5% chlorine. One pound of Trichlor produces the same Free Chlorine (FC) level as 14.644 ounces weight of chlorine gas so is said to have 91.5% available chlorine. One pound (16 ounces weight) of Trichlor will raise the FC by the same amount as 26.4 ounces weight of Dichlor, 22.7 ounces weight of 65% Cal-Hypo, 14.0 cups of 12.5% chlorinating liquid, or 28.4 cups of 6% bleach.

One 3" Trichlor puck is usually 8 ounces weight or half a pound, though some pucks are 7 ounces or 6 ounces (depending on brand).

Another way of looking at this is that for every 1 ppm FC added by Trichlor you also add 0.6 ppm CYA.

Richard

I was going to say all that...but he beat me to it.

Really! :lol:
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Chlorine”