Chlorine dosing pumps

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
ritchie-t
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 10X5 metre pool, sand filter.

Chlorine dosing pumps

Postby ritchie-t » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 11:07

Hi there,

I am after peoples opinions on automatic chlorinators. Generally google searches show up all the type that rely on loading tablets. While this is a an option, I would much rather a way to dispense liquid chlorine.

Does anybody have an experience in liquid chlorine dosing pumps, and have any recommendations. My pool is 75,000 litres and while I have found a few online, it seems hard to try and find the right type to dispense the correct amount of chlorine for my pool size.

Just after general opinions and recommendations really. Ideally something I can order from the UK would be preferable.

This has caught my eye, but I cannot get my head around their flow rates:
https://www.theswimmingpoolshop.co.uk/c ... ne-rg-plus

I am a little confused by the numbers though. Taking the 151 ml/h model as an example. If I run my pool pump for 8 hours a day. If I was realising 151 ml/h (I assume this is millilitres an hour when the pump is set to 100%) for 8 hours a day I would be adding 1.2 litres per day of liquid chlorine into the pool which is a huge amount for a 75m3 pool of my size. I probably have misunderstood the flow rate, but the max outdoor pool size for this pump is 35m3 on that site which mine exceeds. It can be toned down to 10% of its flow rate, which would bring it inline, but then I have to question why they state the max pool size for that is 35m3. Something does not quite add up in my interpretation :lol:. Perhaps it needs diluting.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Chlorine dosing pumps

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 13:22

Various options available in the UK, zodiac do several, as do Seko from Italy but easily available. The test probes can measure redox and approximate the amount of chlorine to add to maintain the correct level rather than a specific ml/hour. Fitted plenty for cutomers.

Never assume the industry actually know what they are talking about.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
ritchie-t
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby ritchie-t » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 13:33

Cheers for the response.

Can I ask, are you supposed to dilute the chlorine before it runs through the pump to extend life of the internal parts, or does it typically get pumped through neat (obviously at the right flow rate). I appreciate there is not one answer for all manufacturers of course.

I had seen they ones that measure and adjust which you mention, although they look like they might come out a bit pricey for me. I am more than happy to set the flow rate through a bit of trail and error if it means getting one of the more simplistic models.

Seko is the brand in that link I posted. I have tried to contact the manufacturer to get clarity on the flow rates, but they haven't been able to clarify.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 16 Sep, 2022 15:49

Peralstaltic pumps use a special pinch tubing (santoprene) that is a wear part and needs replacing every two years on average and can handle the full strength 14-15% chlorine.

I have had no problems with Seko and they were around £350 for a small unit. Then you step up to the diaphragm pump that cost probably double that by now.
Have you looked at the Zodiac or Astral range?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
ritchie-t
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby ritchie-t » Sun 18 Sep, 2022 10:15

I had seen the Zodiac chlor expert which looked like a nice unit, but seemed a bit out of my budget. They don't seem to do anything more basic.

I had not heard of Astral until you mentioned. They do an automated one with a redox sensor at a real good price. Any experience with reliability on this brand? Only available in France from what I can see, but still good value it even with postage and import duty. It seems very cheap for its advertised features:
https://www.swimming-pool-online.com/as ... -pump.html

The Seko ones look ok when it comes to the manual adjustment type, although with the way they advertise the recommended pool sizes vs the ml/h flow rates I am struggling to get confidence in choosing the correct one.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 20 Sep, 2022 09:37

Astral are a large Spanish company but now under the BWT banner(F1 pink livery) part of a massive Sibo Fluidra company taking over the the world of pools. They have bought up lots of different companies.

Return to “Chlorine”