Cheapest way to add chlorine

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Kenric

Cheapest way to add chlorine

Postby Kenric » Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:56

I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get chlorine into the pool without adding CYA.

10% liquid chlorine - $2.75 per gallon
6% bleach - $4 per 1.5 gallons

Are shock or granular powders more bang for the buck? I haven't done the actual calculations on the amount of chlorine you get per lb.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:46

Wow...if you can get 10% chlorine for $2.75, thats a great deal. :shock: I wish I could get that around here. Where did you find it?

Bleach is the cheapest in my area. 6% ultra from wal-mart for about two bucks and change. The shock & granular are more expensive but easier to store obviously. You also will add calcium (hardness) with many so I stick with the liquid.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Tue 24 Jul, 2007 11:08

This link shows a cost comparison of different chlorine sources, but it really varies depending on the area of the country. Generally, Trichlor is least expensive, but it adds CYA. Bleach or chlorinating liquid are usually next, but depends a lot on the store. Cal-Hypo is close in price though often more, but adds to Calcium Hardness (CH) which is OK if it's low. Dichlor is more expensive -- about double Trichlor, but adds even more CYA than Trichlor (for the same FC amount). Lithium hypochlorite is most expensive of all -- about 5 times Trichlor.

Richard
Kenric

Postby Kenric » Tue 24 Jul, 2007 19:10

Backglass wrote:Wow...if you can get 10% chlorine for $2.75, thats a great deal. :shock: I wish I could get that around here. Where did you find it?

That's the going rate here in Phoenix.

Home Depot $5.76/ 2 gallons
Lowes $5.86 / 2 gallons
Ace Hardware $5.99 / 2 gallons
Walmart $5.36/ 2 gallons
Kenric

Postby Kenric » Tue 24 Jul, 2007 19:16

Chemgeek,

Great link!!! Thanks. Looks like I'm just going to stick with pouring in 10% liquid chlorine.

Return to “Chlorine”