So What's The Best Method of Chlorinating a Pool?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Jack Sparrow

So What's The Best Method of Chlorinating a Pool?

Postby Jack Sparrow » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 12:05

Geez, I'm sitting here reading all this about stabilizers (CYA) and shocks and the way they interact, etc, etc, etc. I had no idea there such a precision science to taking care of a pool. I guess once you've got the PROPER routine down, then you should be fine.

So, that leads me to my question: what is the best combination of chlorinating chemicals for my pool and their ratios? (I've had to irradicate algae twice this summer so far)
Pool is:
-vinyl liner
-18,000 gallons
-sand filter
-in the sun
-receives heavy summer rains (Virginia)
-typically heavy swimmer loads (we end up with all the neighborhood kids)
-been using cal hypo for shock and tri 3" tablets

Thx

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: So What's The Best Method of Chlorinating a Pool?

Postby Backglass » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 14:00

Jack Sparrow wrote:Geez, I'm sitting here reading all this about stabilizers (CYA) and shocks and the way they interact, etc, etc, etc. I had no idea there such a precision science to taking care of a pool. I guess once you've got the PROPER routine down, then you should be fine.

So, that leads me to my question: what is the best combination of chlorinating chemicals for my pool and their ratios? (I've had to irradicate algae twice this summer so far)
Pool is:
-vinyl liner
-18,000 gallons
-sand filter
-in the sun
-receives heavy summer rains (Virginia)
-typically heavy swimmer loads (we end up with all the neighborhood kids)
-been using cal hypo for shock and tri 3" tablets

Thx

The best method of chlorination is to use chlorine. :lol:

Seriously...every pool is different. Thats why you hear us (me especially) preaching about having a good test kit. It may SEEM like you have to be a chemist when you start reading these sites, but seriously...it's REALLY easy. The key is knowing where your water is at when you begin, and you cant do that without a decent kit.

As for ratios, no need for math. Download BLEACHCALC. It's free and essential in my opinion.

All you need is Bleach, Baking Soda & Borax. If you don't believe me, CLICK HERE and check out pictures of my pool when I first uncovered it (previous owner had not opened in over two years) and two weeks later.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
Jack Sparrow

Re: So What's The Best Method of Chlorinating a Pool?

Postby Jack Sparrow » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 16:41

Backglass wrote:All you need is Bleach, Baking Soda & Borax.

Am I correct in saying that if I resort to Clorox bleach for my chlorine levels that I'll have to add it daily as opposed to tablets that don't need as much attention.

Postby Guest » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 17:47

Daily or every other day like me. :lol:

As for pucks and granular shock, well, I can't say much for them other than it raising your CYA to the point that your *chlorine* won't work good enough because of how puck and granular raise CYA over a period of time.

Let's face it...
Bleach is cheaper AND better even though you add it more frequently.
It's your decision.
Jack Sparrow

Postby Jack Sparrow » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 19:06

Thanks for the replies.
Ok, it's official-- I'm a Clorox guy now. No more pucks.

Now, one other question: I assume I can shock with Clorox as well? What levels would constitute "superchlorination"? My test kit only reads up to 5ppm.

Thx

Postby Guest » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 19:35

CONGRATULATIONS!

YES! You can shock with clorox! :twisted:
Now, Superchlorination would be shock level a.k.a 15ppm. Go grab yourself a new test kit that can read a higher chlorine level and you are good to go!

Again, you will save lots of money and to be honest, I don't mind tending to my one true love, my swimmy pool! :D

Oh and you can either put it in through the skimmer or over top of the return. I do the return way. POUR ~S~L~O~W~L~Y~. The bleach is heavier than water and to make sure it doesn't touch or set on your liner (if you have a liner) the return water helps disapate it.

I'm so happy for you.

Use Borax (20 mule team) for pH up
Baking Soda for TA up
Muratic Acid to bring both pH and TA down if needed.
Jack Sparrow

Postby Jack Sparrow » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 20:30

Are you ok with dry acid to bring the pH down?
Jack Sparrow

Postby Jack Sparrow » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 20:31

One other question-- any recommendations on a chlorine test kit.

Postby Guest » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 21:28

I use HTH PH MINUS just because I've had it since last year and don't use alot of it... As for a test kit, try the TAYLOR K-2006 kit from troublefreepooldotcom .

Good Luck! 8)
Jack Sparrow
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Jack Sparrow » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 23:28

The Taylor K-2006 kit only goes as high as 5.0ppm for FC. I'll keep looking for something that goes higher.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:49

Jack Sparrow wrote:The Taylor K-2006 kit only goes as high as 5.0ppm for FC. I'll keep looking for something that goes higher.

The K-2006 is an excellent kit for the money. If you want to test over 5.0, just dilute your sample 50/50 with distilled water and double the test result. Voila...it now tests up to 10ppm. ;)

As for ph minus, the cheapest and best is to use Muriatic Acid (aka Hydrochloric Acid). It is sold at hardware store and Home Depot for cleaning masonry. It's wicked-powerful stuff...a cup or so brings my 21,000 gallon pool down a few points. A gallon will run you about $5.00 and last a long time.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 18:30

Jack Sparrow wrote:The Taylor K-2006 kit only goes as high as 5.0ppm for FC. I'll keep looking for something that goes higher.

50 ppm actually.
Jack Sparrow
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Jack Sparrow » Wed 01 Aug, 2007 09:07

I was just going by what I read on Internet about the kit, which said it would measure up to 5ppm.
Sounds like this is indeed the kit to buy.

Thx for the input.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 01 Aug, 2007 16:57

I think what you were reading on the Internet was about the K-2005 test kit since that only goes up to 5 ppm and doesn't do so very accurately (it uses a DPD chlorine test). The K-2006 test kit shown on the Taylor website here and with info on max chlorine levels here says that you can directly measure up to 25 ppm and above that you may need to first add more powder so you can read up to 50 ppm (this latter limit is mentioned in the test kit instruction booklet, not online).

Return to “Chlorine”