chlorine question

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.

chlorine question

Postby Guest » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 20:55

I just bough my house and this is the first time I have evr had to care for a pool.At the begining of the year I had several problems opening ,due to the fact I had no idea what I was doing.WEll,the pool was finnaly clean and ready for swimming.At the beginning I was buying everything from the pool store which was costing obscene amounts of money.During the summer I had one problem with dirty green water,after it dawned on me that it would be okay to use clorox,I used it to get rid of the agae and the pool is ready agin,I have been using a different kind of sanitizer after the shock with the clorox,to keep the chlorine levels up,the product im using is called stingy sticks i just put them in a floating device and the skimmer,I am wondering if its necessary to continue useing these exspensive sanitizers from the pool store ,or if it will be okay to just use the bleach as my sole source of sanitizer?If i use the apropriate amount of bleach for my water will it alone keep the chlorine where they need to be?I was told by the pool store guy(after he FINNALY admitted that bleach was "acceptable" :roll: "that I would have to continue useing the granulare form of the stingy sticks to maintain clean water,is this true,or just a tactic to get me to buy more chemicals from them,these stingy sticks are rathar exspensive.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 09:15

Pool User wrote:I had one problem with dirty green water,after it dawned on me that it would be okay to use clorox,I used it to get rid of the agae and the pool is ready agin. he FINNALY admitted that bleach was "acceptable" Rolling Eyes

Glad to see the light bulb went off...so many people don't understand that chlorine is chlorine. The jug from the pool store and clorox are exactly the same thing, just a different concentration. OF course it's "acceptable"...IT'S CHLORINE! He would much rather you buy HIS jug of "Liquid Wonder Shock" for $9.95 than get Ultra Bleach at Walmart for $1.68 however. ;)

"that I would have to continue useing the granulare form of the stingy sticks to maintain clean water,is this true,or just a tactic to get me to buy more chemicals from them

It's a bald faced lie. Whether YOU pour chlorine in from Walmart or HE sells you granular chlorine makes no difference to your pool because...it's all chlorine.

MANY of us, me included use only the BBB method...bleach, baking soda, borax. You can save a TON of money, thats for sure.

GO HERE, click the top exclamation point, print it out and read it...it explains everything. Also download BLEACHCALC (link in my signature) as it will calculate the amounts for you.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:52

I'm going to second Backglass!

I have switched from cal hypo and 3" pucks two weeks ago and my pocket has reaped the benefits and my pool has been crystal clear since I filled her up in June!

It's all the same Hun. That guy just wants your money!

Return to “Chlorine”