Low Salt

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
The Leader
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low Salt

Postby The Leader » Sun 02 Dec, 2007 19:10

I have a salt chlorinator and was wondering how you can tell that you are low on salt other than taking it to the shop for testing as they always give me heaps of stuff to buy.
I do have a little light that comes on when there is low salt but it doesn't come on.
Will the salt chlorinator generate chlorine if there is low or no salt in the pool?
My pool has a strong salty taste most of the time so I am not sure why I have to keep putting salt.

I would appreciate any advice.

iggy
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: Low Salt

Postby iggy » Mon 14 Jan, 2008 21:45

The Leader

You need to find out how much salt you have in the pool. If it tastes salty I think it may be high. You need to take a sample to a pool store for testing or use the salt test strips.

Salt doesn't decrease unless you have to partially drain the pool after a rain, etc.

That's the best I can suggest at the moment. Hopefully you figured it out by now.
Iggy
Inground Salt pool, 12,000 gal
Jandy CL460 filter and 1 1/2hp sleath pump
Goldline Clorine Generator
Paramount infloor cleaning system
Hayward Cool Logic 2.5 LED Light with 12 program settings

Postby Guest » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 05:16

This is the most accurate, affordable option for testing salt at home:
www(dot)tftestkits(dot)com/index(dot)php?act=viewProd&productId=5

Also, remember that if your swcg may not give an accurate reading if the water is cold.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 07:57

I'm not sure what type of SWG you have but most will work at reduced efficiency if salt is low. Some wont run at all if salt is too low. It will not work at all if there is no salt present. Test the levels yourself. Dont rely on a pool store.
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 08:26

If you have to put a lot of salt all the time and you are not losing water the most likely reason is the cell is dead. The second likely reason is the faulty controller on your chlorinator or bad/dirty connection between the cell and power pack. So after you test your salt levels - those are the things to check.

My bet would be on the dead cell but test everything before you go buying a new one.

Return to “Chlorine”