auto liquid chlorine feeder input idea?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.

auto liquid chlorine feeder input idea?

Postby Guest » Sun 04 May, 2008 10:36

I read some things on the liquidator and what not.

Anyonw have any of these feeders with goods and bads? Thinking I may want to instal one due to my work schedule and all. Im not home 1-2 days a week but the woman and kids are.

Just curious if any of these actually work.

Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Sun 04 May, 2008 11:37

Yeah they do. You still need to fill them up though every now and then.

I think you should read this thread: www(dot)troublefreepool(dot)com/viewtopic(dot)php?t=4507

Postby Guest » Mon 05 May, 2008 11:52

I do not have one, but one thing I did not care for was that if you look at page 6 of this doc:

www DOT ezpool DOT com/liquidator/Liquidator%20Instruction%20and%20Use%20Manual.pdf

It appears that the chlorine is introduced into your system before the pump, that means that the chlorine is going thru your, pump, filter and heater.

It is best to place chlorinators after all these items, not before.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 05 May, 2008 14:18

The rate of chlorine introduction is low as The Liquidator is operating the entire time the pump is running. So if you have one turnover per day, then The Liquidator will output a higher Free Chlorine (FC) equal to the loss in one day, which is typically around 2 ppm in a residential pool. If one targets an FC level that is 15% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level, then the output of The Liquidator will be not be that much higher.

For example, if one has 50 ppm CYA, then the target FC might be 5.0 ppm and if the daily chlorine loss is 2 ppm then the output of The Liquidator will be 7.0 ppm which isn't very much higher than the 5 ppm already in the water. 7 ppm with 50 ppm CYA is technically equivalent to 0.13 ppm FC with no CYA so is far less than found in indoor pools. Though it will technically increase the chlorine level, the amount is not enough to be of concern to equipment.

A saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) is a different matter. It's "on-time" is usually a fraction of the total pump time, especially when using a larger SWG designed to last longer. If the SWG is on one-third of the time and we assume the same single turnover per day, then instead of 2 ppm FC higher the output will be 6 ppm FC higher (the base FC is usually lower with an SWG so perhaps 3 ppm so the total is 9 ppm). This still isn't as bad as it sounds, but the SWG also outputs water that is very alkaline on one side (from the hydrogen gas generating plate) and very acidic on the other side (from the chlorine generating plate) and such water will not mix thoroughly for some distance after the SWG so having metal downstream could get corroded from the acidic side (by the time the water gets into the pool, it's mixed so no longer bifurcated in pH).

Richard

Return to “Chlorine”