Help I am having a chemical reaction in my pool!

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
girldoc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Help I am having a chemical reaction in my pool!

Postby girldoc » Sun 04 May, 2008 10:58

New to this site and would like some help. I have been trying to get the chemicals correct in my pool for three weeks. At last test, my alkalinity is correct as well as my pH. I have put over 50 pounds of dichlor in my pool and yet it still registers no free chlorine.

When I add dichlor, the granules sink to the bottom and then there is this huge white cloud that comes up from the bottom leaving a white film on the top of the water! I don't have a chlorine smell and the test strips still say no chlorine.

I have cleaned the filter, added algaecide, and used pool first aid all at the advice of my pool company. I am getting no where and dichlor is expensive!

My pool is 46000 gallons has a cartridge filter system with an ionizer setting of 3...

Any thoughts?

Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Sun 04 May, 2008 11:33

What do you use for testing?
girldoc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby girldoc » Sun 04 May, 2008 11:37

I have been taking water samples in to the pool company and a big readout is given. They interpret and tell me what to do. i don't have those with me though. I have test strips for in between testing just to get an idea.
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Sun 04 May, 2008 12:10

According to my calcs you would have 25 times the required level.
Or something is eating chlorine very quickly.

I'd say it's first.

When the pool is properly chlorinated there shouldn't be any chlorine smell.

What's your CYA level?

Try to find those printouts and post all the values here. And don't add anything to the pool in the mean time.

Also brush the spots where you put the dichlor if there is anything left there to help it dissolve.
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Sun 04 May, 2008 12:15

You probably got too much chlorine and it's bleaching the test strips.

Try dilluting the sample as follows:

Take a measure of pool water and add it to an equal measure of tap water. Then test this mixture. If you get a reading then you must double it to get the true reading. If you still don't get a reading then put in two measures of tap water to one of pool water and multiply by three and so on until you do get a reading.
girldoc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby girldoc » Sun 04 May, 2008 12:19

Thanks for replying, I'll take in another water sample and post the readings here in a couple of days! Thanks for your attempt to help...I'll also do the dilution and see if that changes anything.
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Sun 04 May, 2008 12:32

Oh and instead of Dichlor use Clorox next time.
It's cheaper ;)

Postby Guest » Sun 04 May, 2008 14:51

Strannik-au wrote:You probably got too much chlorine and it's bleaching the test strips.

Try dilluting the sample as follows:

Take a measure of pool water and add it to an equal measure of tap water. Then test this mixture. If you get a reading then you must double it to get the true reading. If you still don't get a reading then put in two measures of tap water to one of pool water and multiply by three and so on until you do get a reading.

Saw you post on the other site and put a more detailed response on there...as well I have ordered the TD test kit. Until that arrives I did the dilution thing and no chlorine registered at all. Ended up diluting as far as 1/4 c to 3 c tap and no chlorine.

When looking at my test strips, I've never paid attention to the ppm. but this is what the pool says now. pH7.2, free chlorine 0, total alk 120 and stabilizer (is this CYA) is 30-50.
Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Mon 05 May, 2008 05:25

yep it looks like you actually have too much algae, not too much chlorine :)

Return to “Chlorine”