CC breakpoint dosage calulator

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.

CC breakpoint dosage calulator

Postby Guest » Wed 07 May, 2008 10:51

Is there an online calculator where I can enter these 3 values:

Combined Chlorine level in PPM
Volume of water in gallons
% Available chlorine in powdered shock

And it will tell me how many ounces or pounds of the specified powered shock I will need to reach breakpoint.

Strannik-au
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Strannik-au » Fri 09 May, 2008 04:28

try this one:

www(dot)poolcalculator(dot)com

For breakpoint chlorination your free chlorine needs to be 10 times that of CC
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 09 May, 2008 22:44

The 10x rule isn't actually correct in terms of Combined Chlorine (CC). The 10x is for breakpoint of ammonia measured as ppm nitrogen, not for monochloramine (which is CC) measured as ppm chlorine. Nevertheless, shocking with a higher FC will get rid of the CC faster if the CC is indeed monochloramine. Also, you usually don't get CC in an outdoor pool exposed to sunlight if you properly maintain Free Chlorine (FC) levels.
jdlloyd1183

breakpoint chlorination breaking up chloramines

Postby jdlloyd1183 » Sun 11 May, 2008 15:59

What is your free chlorine reading and your combined chlorine reading? how big is your pool?? IF you have high total chlorine, and no free chlorine, super chlorination would be the answer. if you have a hig or ok free chlorine reading and still have a CC level of 0.2ppm or higher , use potassium monopersulfate 44.7% non chlorine shock to break up the chloramines 1 lb per 10,000 gal is usually enough in my experience to eliminate up to .4 ppm of CC, any7 higher than that and you need to super chlorinate keep that in mine when dealing with chloramines...
as for a calculator, go to the library or seach on line for a CPO handbook,which will have the formulas you need

Return to “Chlorine”