Help! high CC

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
tacoma5050
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Help! high CC

Postby tacoma5050 » Wed 07 May, 2008 12:06

I had just drained half of my pool last week, added new water. Balanced water over the weekend. Then added 3 gals of bleach on Sunday.
On Tuesday I added two 1-lb bags of shock.

18000 gal pool, vinyl liner

Current readings:
water is clean, no algee, water is cloudy
Ph=7.5
TA=110
CYA = I think is around 50-60
calcium hard = 120ppm
FC=.5
TC= 3.5
CC=3

So my breakpoint for shocking is 30. I will use calcium hypochlorite(avail chlor=49%) for shock.

So a rough estimate tells me I need 10 to 11 one-lb bags of my shock.

That seems like alot! Is this OK, should I add 10 bags? I have never needed that much. What should I do?? :shock:

Currently automatic chlorinater has no 3" tabs in it. Should I add tabs and turn this on or wait?

tacoma5050
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby tacoma5050 » Wed 07 May, 2008 14:34

Although I am still looking for an answer to my questions, I may have at least found the source of my high CC after my pool refill with city water. Read here:
www DOT encyclopedia DOC com/doc/1G1-121075550.html
My neighbor claims our city water dept does use the chloramination process. argh!!

In regards to my original post, do I have any option other than shocking?

Will the CC go down after a few days if I do not add any chlorine.

Also, if shocking with 10 bags of shock is the reccomendation, should I lower my ph from 7.4 to 7.2 before I do the shock?

Thanks, this is driving me nuts!!!

Postby Guest » Wed 07 May, 2008 15:27

OK, even more info, a local pool store is recommending that I use a non-chlorine shock, such as a product called "Oxy Shock".

They also said I could use a product to remove chlorine from the pool.

Are either of these good ideas?

sorry about all the posts :shock:
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 07 May, 2008 22:15

You can use either higher concentrations of chlorine or a non-chlorine shock to lower the CC, but non-chlorine shock is usually better at preventing CC not getting rid of it. However, normally if you maintain a normal Free Chlorine (FC) level and the pool is exposed to sunlight, you won't get a buildup of CC. Also, you don't actually have to shock to 30 ppm -- the 10x rule is technically wrong in terms of CC and is related to ammonia-nitrogen instead so just raise the FC to around 10 ppm or so and see if the CC drops. Keep the pool uncovered during the shock period.

Postby Guest » Thu 08 May, 2008 07:32

OK Thanks! I will try bringing the FC up to 10. I will do this by adding 3 gallons of 6% bleach. During this correction period, how often should I check and adjust the FC level, twice a day? (in the morning, then evening).

I was worried to add more chlorine before I shocked to breakpoint, because I read if you try to shock to breakpoint and you don't use enough shock to reach breakpoint, then you could make matters worse and the CC could raise. So trying to get my FC to 10(as I describe above) and keeping it there for a few days will not increase my CC? I assumed that adding small amounts of chlorine would have the same effect as not shocking with a high enough dose and thus raise my CC.

chem geek wrote:You can use either higher concentrations of chlorine or a non-chlorine shock to lower the CC, but non-chlorine shock is usually better at preventing CC not getting rid of it. However, normally if you maintain a normal Free Chlorine (FC) level and the pool is exposed to sunlight, you won't get a buildup of CC. Also, you don't actually have to shock to 30 ppm -- the 10x rule is technically wrong in terms of CC and is related to ammonia-nitrogen instead so just raise the FC to around 10 ppm or so and see if the CC drops. Keep the pool uncovered during the shock period.

Return to “Chlorine”