Pool has stopped needing chlorine!!!!

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Gus904
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Gus904 » Mon 27 Oct, 2008 09:57

In July I bought some cheap chlorine granules from the internet that proved very difficult to test and as a result I over-chlorinated my pool (it's a heated indoor pool). Since then I have tried to gradually dilute the chlorine (by part emptying and re-filling the pool).
Now it is October, I am pretty sure that I've not got any Chlorine in the pool (when testing the water i've tried diluting the pool water down to ensure that the tables are not being bleached out), but it is not going cloudly and simply doesn't seem to need any chlorine.
The only difference I can see is a brown layer that looks like dust / cobwebs just underneath the jets where the water is re-circulated back into the pool.
Does anyone have any ideas at all - as I'm completely out of ideas.
Thanks
Gus!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Pool has stopped needing chlorine

Postby chem geek » Mon 27 Oct, 2008 11:40

When a pool gets to zero chlorine, it does not immediately get algae or other visible signs of problems, especially if it's an indoor pool. However, without any chlorine (or other sanitizer), the pool is not sanitary and their can be bacterial growth. Basically, it's like bath water except you aren't changing it. You should add some chlorine so that it is sanitary.

If you use chlorinating liquid or 6% unscented bleach, then you won't be adding extra Cyanuric Acid (CYA) from Trichlor or Dichlor or Calcium Hardness (CH) from Cal-Hypo to the pool.

Richard

Postby Guest » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 06:54

If your water does not need chlorine it is very great.

If it needs chlorine and you don't give it watch out!! :shock:

The water will be good and fine all along and then BAM! one day you got thick green peasoup. Oy!

Then you will spend all your time to fix it and lots of your $$$ on chemicals. Be nice to your pool and it is nice to you. :thumbup:

Return to “Chlorine”