How to up the stabalizer level?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 30 May, 2009 14:01

If the circulation in your pool is reasonable, follow the instructions on the bottle. It normally should not take more than an hour or two to have the product be thoroughly mixed throughout the pool water. The idea is to get the product mixed, not to have multiple turnovers of the water through the filter. If one simply stirred the pool with the pump off, then that would cause mixing without any circulation through the filter whatsoever and the flocculant would still work.

jeff6898
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 24' round sand filter

Postby jeff6898 » Sun 31 May, 2009 08:44

OK I put the pump on bypass to pool, put the floc in around 2:00 have excellant pump flow Let the pump run for 3 hours shut off around 5 just got in to check the pool 8:30 the next day ans still very cloudy can't see at all through the water. Let it sit more or should I vacuum now? Will the pool water be clear when the floc actually works?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 31 May, 2009 17:43

If the floc worked, then the pool will be more clear and you'd see stuff piled at the bottom of the pool. You could wait a little longer and then vacuum-to-waste that which is on the bottom, then try filtering out the rest.
jeff6898
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby jeff6898 » Sun 31 May, 2009 18:58

Guess its not working then its been 24 hours and not a bit clearer.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 01:59

I'm sorry to hear that. First off, check your pool water chemistry to make sure the saturation index isn't too high (pH, TA, CH). I doubt that it is given that the CH shouldn't be high given that it's a vinyl pool.

Though you could try a clarifier to see if that helps trap the cloudiness into the filter, take a look at this link for many reasons for cloudy water. I'd keep the pool at shock level (FC at 40% of the CYA level) though if you haven't seen any change over a couple of days, that is not encouraging. When starting with algae, a pool typically clears in a sequence similar to that shown in this link.

Make sure the filter is clean. You could try a skimmer sock if the cloudiness were "thicker" particles, but I suspect it's dead algae that should normally clear from shock levels of chlorine.

Worst case would require partial drain/refill, but that's a last resort. If the cloudiness were just from algae, then shock levels of chlorine would clear it assuming circulation was reasonable.
jeff6898
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby jeff6898 » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 11:58

CH is actually way low. ph in range ta a little low

Return to “Chlorine”