chemicals

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
poolnewbie21

chemicals

Postby poolnewbie21 » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 15:00

Pool Chemicals:
Hello all,
I am a new home owner and the house came with a pool. After some troublesome pool cleaning companies I have decided to learn the ins and outs myself. So any help is appreciated. The problem i have now is, the last pool man i hired started to use lithium based shock instead of calcium based. Lithium as i hear is better for the liner etc, but its hard to find the chemicals at Leslie's. I have been using this kind of shock since june-now. Can i now revert back to calcium based shock? Or if i cannot, where can i buy lithium based shock. The brand this guy used is called Crystal Shock. ANy help is greatly appreciated. :)

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

chemicals

Postby floridapooltech » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 17:27

poolnewbie21 wrote:Pool Chemicals:
Hello all,
I am a new home owner and the house came with a pool. After some troublesome pool cleaning companies I have decided to learn the ins and outs myself. So any help is appreciated. The problem i have now is, the last pool man i hired started to use lithium based shock instead of calcium based. Lithium as i hear is better for the liner etc, but its hard to find the chemicals at Leslie's. I have been using this kind of shock since june-now. Can i now revert back to calcium based shock? Or if i cannot, where can i buy lithium based shock. The brand this guy used is called Crystal Shock. ANy help is greatly appreciated. :)

Calcium hypochlorite will not harm your liner. You also may not need to use the cal-hypo granules as you can use simple chlorine bleach from the pool store with the same end result. Just make sure you are also keeping an eye on the pH, Alkalinity and CYA too...you should be good to go! :thumbup:
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

chemicals

Postby chem geek » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 00:27

Lithium hypochlorite is VERY expensive -- the most expensive source of chlorine (see this link for a cost comparison). With Cal-Hypo, you may need to mix it in a bucket of water first to dissolve it better and then pour it over a return flow with the pump running. You could also use chlorinating liquid or 6% bleach. With any chlorine or when adding acid, pour slowly over a return flow with the pump running. To ensure thorough mixing, you can lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool where you add the chemical. Once mixed, there will be no problem.

You can learn more about how to maintain your pool easily and inexpensively by reading the Pool School.
andrrewdamien
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

chemicals

Postby andrrewdamien » Thu 31 May, 2012 12:35

poolnewbie21 wrote:Pool Chemicals:
Hello all,

Your health is very essential, One of the tips on how to keep your body healthier is to consistently work out. Whether you are using your own swimming pool or using a local public swimming pool for fun or work out requirements, the use of swimming pool chemical creates the water secure for diving because it clears and sanitizes.
paint marker

Return to “Chlorine”