Pool scum I cant remove

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
Kylie

Pool scum I cant remove

Postby Kylie » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 00:34

Hi Everyone
I am really hoping someone can help me as I am at my wits end.

Hubby and I only recently purchased a new house (our old house we put a inground pool in).
Anyway this property comes with an inground pool

Our problem is the pool obviously has been neglected for years...

Finally we have the water crystal clear BUT.........

Over half of the bottom of the pool, the steps and some of the walls are covered in what looks like sand (same color) but is hard as rock. We have tried sand paper to remove it - sharp brushes - you name it. Its sooooooo hard.

Has anyone ever had anything like this - or knows of a chemical that may soften it. We have no idea how to get it off. The pool is not vinyl so it wont put a whole in it (hence the sand paper we used) it did move it a bit but would probably take us years to do this whole pool lol.

Please someone help :)

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool scum I cant remove

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 02:44

It may be calcium scale
Can you post a full set of numbers back here
Do you have your own test kit
Have you tried muriatic acid in a shallow area
DavidSwimmer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DavidSwimmer » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 21:00

Hi Kylie,

I don't know if this will work for this problem, but I've used Naval Jelly rust dissolver on things other than rust before... and it's worked wonders.

When we first moved into our house the pool had some intense, long-neglected algae scum in some tight corner crevices. The standard pool stuff you get at the store (I think I bought "Wet and Forget") didn't do a dang thing for it.

But my dad told me I should try Naval Jelly. (He's an old salt and said they used it all over his ship to clean more than just rust.)

I put it on, let it set for 24 hours, and presto the algae was history.

It sounds like what you have on there is stronger than just algae, but don't underestimate this stuff. It works.

Good luck and let me know if it helps!

-DS
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 03:06

Hi David
I don't think that will work under water as it washes off with water and it's Phosphoric acid based so Muriatic acid will do the same using the Purity Pool Underwater Acid Wash Kit. That's if muriatic acid in a shallow area moves it as I suggested
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/S_TRMT_NAVAL_tds.pdf
DavidSwimmer
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DavidSwimmer » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 13:09

Denniswiseman wrote:Hi David
I don't think that will work under water as it washes off with water and it's Phosphoric acid based so Muriatic acid will do the same using the Purity Pool Underwater Acid Wash Kit. That's if muriatic acid in a shallow area moves it as I suggested
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/S_TRMT_NAVAL_tds.pdf

Oh that is a good point. To be honest I thought the pool was drained for this operation.

-DS
azulverde
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: With pool and spa design, our goal is to give you a water element that is tranquil and enjoyable. You will be able to relax in the sun and enjoy the beautiful and functional design we create. For a pool and spa area, we focus on what really matters: how you plan to use the space.

Postby azulverde » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 03:43

Once you've successfully removed the scum line, raise the water level (if you lowered it) and enjoy your swimming pool. You can use either Pool Perfect or Pool First Aid as part of your weekly maintenance to prevent the scum line from returning.
Poolcovers
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: we designs and manufactures fixed automatic retractable enclosures for pools, patios and outdoor spaces.

Postby Poolcovers » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 00:10

Hi Kylie
Unclean and infected water looks ugly and has the potential to make people sick.
There are some steps you can follow to remove the pool scum
1. Remove large debris from the pool using a fine pool net
2. Rinse off your pool filter thoroughly in accordance with your specific filter's instructions and clean it off
3. Turn on your pool filter once it is cleaned and keep it on until the water is clear of scum
4. Add pool shock to the pool, which is a high dose of chlorine that affects the pH levels to kill off any mold or algae spores along with other microorganisms that could contribute to pool scum formation
5. Vacuum the pool using a pool vacuum to eliminate any remaining scum or debris from the water. This could get you rid of the source of the pool scum and already accumulated scum
seeting83
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: polygroup summer waves elite pool

Postby seeting83 » Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:48

Rubbish lines are caused by a development of natural waste in the water. This waste could be suntan salve, oils, makeup, earth and plant and creature side-effects. Since we do the greater part of our swimming on the surface of the pool or spa, the majority of this garbage will in general amass on the surface of the water.

Thanks!

summer waves above ground pool

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”