"Sand paper" on the sides of the liner

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
birdman858
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 33' round above ground with sand filter

Postby birdman858 » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 13:53

Hi folks. Each year, I leave my 33' round above ground uncovered. Spring opening is easy as I have no trees. This year, I was surprised to learn I had a "sand paper"-like deposit in the liner starting just below water line. I never drain down below the jets in the fall closing. I remove the pump and all hoses and just let snow and rain drain out the jet. I suspect the sandpaper is being caused by calcium deposits...maybe the pH got really low this year. Could you guys feed me some ideas for removing the deposits? I appreciate your input.

wboss71
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby wboss71 » Wed 20 Mar, 2013 06:36

Hello. Liner pools can be treated but they need to be dealt with carefully or you can ruin the liner. To know what type of scale you have go to googol. It can look different depending on the age and water. You could try lowering the pH to around 7.2 for a while to help the water soften the calcium over time. For a more aggressive treatment you can get a scale remover in dry power form and hold it over the affected area in a stocking or filter sock for short periods of time. Please be very careful as this material could damage your pool if not handled properly of left on the walls too long.

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”