Rough plaster

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
iandstew
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: newly plastered, 20*40, salt water, de filter,1.5 horsepower challenger pump

Rough plaster

Postby iandstew » Wed 30 May, 2012 12:01

Last year we replastered the pool. The PH was fine when we closed the pool. When i opened the pool the
PH was extremely high. I added 3 gallons of muritic acid to lower it. I now have rough surfaces where the water was. I was told this is scaling because of high Ph.
The pool store told me to lower PH to 6.8 to reduce scaling. Does anyone know if this works and how long will it take??
Is there any treatments that will reduce the scaling???
Water was tested and all numbers are in normal range.

I am very frustrated. Any suggestions would be great.
thanks
i

pirateslovebacon
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18K gal, SWG, PebbleTec, solar & gas heat, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair cartridge, Jandy AquaLinks control system. Pool Pal for Android.

Rough plaster

Postby pirateslovebacon » Wed 30 May, 2012 13:03

The are two indices you can use to determine if you pool water is balanced. The CSI and LSI. "The Pool Calculator" provides the CSI which is thought by many to be the superior index. There are various apps that provide the LSI.

In a nutshell you don't want your water too corrosive (sucks calcite from the walls) or to have too much calcite that it will leave deposits on the wall (scale). Water balance is achieved by aligning 4 major variables; water temperature, calcium hardness, total alkalinity and pH. Other factors such as salt, CYA and borates play a minor role and are accounted for with the CSI.

Get your water balanced and you will spend less money and time on your perfect oasis. Google "Pool School" to learn more and use "The Pool Calculator" the keep your levels in check.
iandstew
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: newly plastered, 20*40, salt water, de filter,1.5 horsepower challenger pump

Rough plaster

Postby iandstew » Wed 30 May, 2012 13:51

Thanks for the great website. I know how to keep my chemicals in line but with the new plaster the PH has contanstly been high. I added 1/2 gallon a week of muriatic acid during the season to keep the ph down.

The problem was after i closed the pool. The PH must have risen and caused scaling. Now i don't know how to remove it?

Thanks for your input.
Ilene
pirateslovebacon
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18K gal, SWG, PebbleTec, solar & gas heat, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair cartridge, Jandy AquaLinks control system. Pool Pal for Android.

Rough plaster

Postby pirateslovebacon » Wed 30 May, 2012 14:26

Sorry, I misunderstood. You could try diluting some muriatic, use a spray bottle and brush. I don't know what the dilution ration is, I think I recall 1 part muriatic to 3 parts water, but search around for a more definitive resource. If it's too strong it could take paint off your surface.

I don't think pH alone is indicative for the potential of scale.
wboss71
I'm new here
I'm new here

Rough plaster

Postby wboss71 » Wed 20 Mar, 2013 06:25

I have spent a lot of time researching calcium scale. I am dealing with it every day in my job. While each situation is different, there are some common threads and causes. www.thepoolstainremovers.com.au has a good section on calcium and while it may not all apply to you, rest assured with the right treatment over a period of time it will go away and your pool will be close to new again. Let me know if you need any other advice. As was mentioned above, water balance is the key not just pH.

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”