Clorox and water hardness

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
dedelstein
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Endless Pool

Clorox and water hardness

Postby dedelstein » Sun 09 Apr, 2023 12:33

I’ve had my Endless Pool for quite some time. The last time I emptied then filled the pool - about five years ago when scheduled maintenance had me replace the motor - I used water from a tap on my house that feeds directly from my well. As expected, the water is bit harder than it ought to be. There is a residue of power everywhere so I clean the pool area at least monthly. Something I can live with until next time I empty and fill the pool.

Here’s my question: I throw a couple of cups of Clorox bleach into the pool a few times a week. Water chemistry, other than hardness, is fine. Does Clorox in any way impact the hardness of the water?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Clorox and water hardness

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 10 Apr, 2023 00:17

Not really, it increases the pH and adds a tiny amount of salt and as salt pool fans will say, salt pools have softer feeling water.
What filtration do you have? If you use zeolite its an ion exchange resin used in some water softners so would reduce your hardness. You would have to regenerate the zeolite from time to time as it becomes saturated with the calcium. That means turning off the valves to the pool and alliwing the zeolite to soak in a saline solution and then rinse that away.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
dedelstein
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Endless Pool

Re: Clorox and water hardness

Postby dedelstein » Thu 13 Apr, 2023 13:35

@Teapot1 Thanks for your reply. I use standard paper-based filters. I’ll look at zeolite to see if that’s something I should pursue.

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”