Is it possible?

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
Litoq

Is it possible?

Postby Litoq » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 09:09

Is it possible that I can have a Calcium hardness reading of slightly over 50? I have tested it with strips and it reads below 100, more like closer to 50. If I understand correctly, 200 - 400 is the proper range and I'm way off. I have an 18K Gal pool, PH and alkalinity are fine, CYA is way high (gonna dilute soon), and chlorine disappears daily (probably because of the high CYA). This is a new pool having only been filled last month with water from main line. Can it be possible that there is no calcium in the water? According to calculations, I would have to add lots of pounds of calcium to get it to the proper range.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 30 Jul, 2007 10:07

It is very possible if you have naturally soft water or water softener.

I have a water softener and the hose bib on the back of the house near my pool is from the "softened" line. As a result, my CH was about the same when I first moved in three months ago. I just recently got it to crack 200.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
Litoq

Postby Litoq » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 07:01

Ah ok. Would you happen to know a good online shop or chain store to purchase the calcium in bulk? According the BleachCalc program, I would need about 54 lbs of calcium chloride. There aren't many pool stores around where I live and the quantity I need seems alot.
Litoq

Postby Litoq » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 08:42

Another question...
Is it not safe to swim with a low CH?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 09:06

Litoq wrote:Ah ok. Would you happen to know a good online shop or chain store to purchase the calcium in bulk? According the BleachCalc program, I would need about 54 lbs of calcium chloride. There aren't many pool stores around where I live and the quantity I need seems alot.

I bought a 25lb bucket from In The Swim. Free Fedex shipping!

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 18:34

Litoq wrote:Another question...
Is it not safe to swim with a low CH?

Sure go ahead. In some jurisdictions there are no regulations governing the upper and lower limits on CaCl because . . . it does not affect the safety of the bathers !

Berfore you add some though, make sure you need to do so. Some pools (mainly above ground with no heater) don't really need calcium. Same for fiberglass lined pools with no heater.
Litoq

Postby Litoq » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 20:25

Thanks a lot all for the responses!! I don't have a heater and there really isn't any metal (except skimmer screws and the pump) that the water contacts. I think I will add a little just to be safe (or maybe just to conform to the norm).
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 31 Jul, 2007 21:12

Litoq wrote:Thanks a lot all for the responses!! I don't have a heater and there really isn't any metal (except skimmer screws and the pump) that the water contacts. I think I will add a little just to be safe (or maybe just to conform to the norm).

Calcium Hardness really comes into play with Plaster pools, because plaster has calcium in it. The water will literally draw the calcium right out of the pool walls to satisfy it's demand. If the CH is high, it will deposit scale on pipes, heaters and pumps...like you get on your water faucet if you have hard water.

If you have a vinyl liner and no heater, it really isn't anything to worry about at all. In fact if your pool is clear now, adding calcium could cloud things up.

If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”