Scale on plaster

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Scale on plaster

Postby all4him » Wed 14 May, 2008 13:38

I have a heavy build up of scale in the bottom of my pool due to the water being way out of balane for over a year. Besides getting my water balanced what can I do to fget this scale disolved quickly?

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Wed 14 May, 2008 20:17

Look for a stain master. Allows you to add acid in exact locations underwater. Acid on these buildups will help dissolve the calcium. But, most importantly, properly balanced chemistry is the key. Keep your pH at 7.0-7.2 for awhile. That will help as well.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby all4him » Thu 15 May, 2008 07:17

Thanks I appreciate the info :)

Postby Guest » Sat 17 May, 2008 09:02

I had my grey bottom pool turn white. It started wth white flakes in the spa. I drained the pool and gave it a good acid wash and it is 90 percent better. I did not want to go nuts with the acid so I reflled and called it good. There are still a few areas that could use attention. Is there any product that will disolve what is left over time. I am in no hurry but I would like to find something that will work as I dont want to drain and acid wash again

Postby Guest » Sat 17 May, 2008 09:22

Possibly adjust PH to 0 and brush occasionally?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 17 May, 2008 12:47

Do NOT try and adjust the pH to 0. Lowering pH is one thing, but that would be horribly destructive and couldn't even be done unless you filled the entire pool with a 10:1 dilution of Muriatic Acid!

You can lower your pool's pH to around 7.0 - 7.2 while using a scale remover product that will then sequester the excess calcium. This is what muss08 suggested and was good advice.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Sat 17 May, 2008 17:10

pH of 0 would dissolve your pool and all your equipment. as to getting areas that still need acid- stainmaster- which i believe is a jandy produt
APSP Certified Service Pro

Jandy Tech School

Pentair Tech Training

Raypak Heater School

5 yrs experience

Postby Guest » Sun 18 May, 2008 00:56

thanx guys
Duffy Pools

What are they telling you?

Postby Duffy Pools » Fri 30 May, 2008 18:24

We built Swimming pools since 1952.

All the chemicals they sell are not needed.

The swimming pool is a commitment for fun and enjoyment.

Here is a hint. If a frog lives in your pool for more than a day then your chlorine content has a problem.

How do you sanitize your toilet?
Duffy Pools

My pool

Postby Duffy Pools » Fri 30 May, 2008 18:48

The worst thing anyone can do is drain the pool. This is for all you people with an in ground.

If you have to drain the in ground pool wait till dry season. This is for Liner replacement or any gunite fix.

Fall is the best time for major pool repairs. Water tables tend to be lower!

A good pool did not have to have a deep end main drain. The contractor would have piped a PVC within a few feet of the deep end hopper.

The customer would say, "what is this pipe for sticking out of the ground in the back yard. "

That's if sh!t hits the fan on the Big Fish Tank.
Duffy Pools

Postby Duffy Pools » Fri 30 May, 2008 19:18

My comments are based in Northern New England with short swimming summer with vinyl liners and cement re-enforced with re- bar walls.

Cheap pools today pour a footing around plastic walls then add the liner.

If you don't like your pool after 20 years you can still use the foundation to build a house. Nothing last longer than 10 inches of high pressure re enforced cement walls for your next big fish tank.

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”