Bright Blue Stains on Pebblecrete Surface

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
jayveebee61
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Our pool is approx 4 x 6 meters, 35,000 litre salt-chlorinated, sand filtered pool. It is inground concrete with 'salt and pepper' pebblecrete surfacing.

Bright Blue Stains on Pebblecrete Surface

Postby jayveebee61 » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 20:47

Hi there,

We recently bought our house and with it came an inground concrete pool, with the standard 'salt and pepper' pebblecrete surface. We are guessing the pool is around 16 years old at least.

Our issue is that along the pebblecrete surface of the pool, above and below the waterline - and mainly on the walls - are these bright blue stains. I have attached 3 photos.

I have had the rep from LoChlor out a few time times to look at the pool and we have tried LoChlor "MultiStain" Remover, Lo Chlor "CU Later" copper remover, and ascorbic acid and nothing has budged the stain - even a little. We used these products exactly as directed.

I have also applied a little pool acid (HCl) to one of the stains above the waterline, and scrubbing it with a nylon brush and it actually made the stain worse, resulting in a deeper blue colour.

I asked the previous owner - an old woman - if she knew what caused it and she did not know.

Just thought I would get in touch with you guys to see if you had any suggestions. At first because the staining was blue I though it may have been copper but the "CU Later" did not budge it at all. Also the colour is bright blue - not the blue-green hue of a typical copper stain.

The pool is saltwater chlorinated. At the moment the pool has zero chlorine/salt and pH is neutral as this was what was required to trial all the above products.

Any advice - very greatly appreciated.
Attachments
bluestains_03.jpg
bluestains_02.jpg
bluestains_01.jpg

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Bright Blue Stains on Pebblecrete Surface

Postby Teapot » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 01:37

Now you have tried reducing the stain with acid which would then indicate metals being present. Try a chlorine tablet held directly on the stain for a bit and report back.
jayveebee61
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Our pool is approx 4 x 6 meters, 35,000 litre salt-chlorinated, sand filtered pool. It is inground concrete with 'salt and pepper' pebblecrete surfacing.

Postby jayveebee61 » Mon 01 Oct, 2018 18:27

Hi Teapot, my apologies for the delayed reply - have been away on holidays. Thank you for the suggestion re the chlorine tablet. Unfortunately this also has not worked on the stain. It's a real head-scratcher, this one!
MRoach
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 90,000 LT pebblecrete pool.

Postby MRoach » Sat 03 Oct, 2020 17:42

Hi

I have the same issue with my pool, did you ever figure out how to remove the blue stain?

Thanks

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”