Brown Stains on Pool Surface

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
KenK
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21' x 10' gallon fiberglass pool, approximately 6,000 gallons, chlorine, cartridge filter.

Brown Stains on Pool Surface

Postby KenK » Tue 19 Mar, 2019 13:49

Recently I noticed a few small stains that looked like rust show up in my pool. I added some Lo-Chlor Multi-Stain Remover, which didn't seem to do very much. I then added some metal magic, which actually made the problem worse. Overnight hundreds of tiny rust stains appeared, mainly on the bottom of the pool and the steps. I've tried a multitude of products to try and get rid of them, and so far nothing has worked. They don't respond to either Vitamin C tablets or chlorine tabs, so I'm not even sure what kind of stain they are. Outside of these stains the water is crystal clear. Additionally, when I add chlorine to the pool the water turns green momentarily around the chlorine and then disappears after a few seconds. I've had my local pool store test for metals, and the tests have been negative.

Any suggestions?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Brown Stains on Pool Surface

Postby Teapot » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 17:34

You can and you certainly sound like you have metal in your pool but when it stains it may well not show up on tests. Once it's back in solution then it usually will show up in tests. Sounds like iron staining.
KenK
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21' x 10' gallon fiberglass pool, approximately 6,000 gallons, chlorine, cartridge filter.

Postby KenK » Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:13

Thanks, that's what I thought too. What's the best way to remove that stuff? The stains didn't react to vitamin C tablets at all, which surprised me. At this point I'm not sure what I should try next. Ascorbic acid powder didn't do anything, and metal magic just made it worse. Also, is this what causes the water to turn green when chlorine is added for a few seconds?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 21 Mar, 2019 11:56

For ascorbic acid to work the chlorine needs to be zero or very near?
KenK
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby KenK » Thu 21 Mar, 2019 12:27

Yes, and when I used it the chlorine was pretty much zero. I'm tempted to try it again, but that stuff is expensive for something that might not even work. It's either that or order something on Amazon like CuLator, Jack's Magic Magenta Stuff, or something else. My local pool store is relatively small, and the only metal removing products they sell are an ascorbic acid product and metal magic.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 21 Mar, 2019 13:33

KenK wrote:Yes, and when I used it the chlorine was pretty much zero. I'm tempted to try it again, but that stuff is expensive for something that might not even work. It's either that or order something on Amazon like CuLator, Jack's Magic Magenta Stuff, or something else. My local pool store is relatively small, and the only metal removing products they sell are an ascorbic acid product and metal magic.

I have used the AA treatment in my fibreglass pool to good effect
I didn't find it expensive using the powder which I found on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vitamin-C-Po ... Swk~NZ1O~S
Use this link to help Ascorbic Acid Treatment
You can end up paying a lot more with different potions whch may or may not work
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Thu 21 Mar, 2019 15:35

Before you can use culator etc you have to get the metal back into solution. That's what ascorbic acid does it is a reducing agent, the opposite to chlorine. You need quite a few culator's as reports suggest they only remove a small amount.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”