How to remove sequestered metal from water.

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: 28' x 10' indoor, liner, oil heater, sand filter.

How to remove sequestered metal from water.

Postby Phil.c » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 06:50

A couple of years ago my indoor liner pool developed brown staining at the deep end, I bought commercial pool stain remover, it removed the stain but it came back after a few days throughout the whole pool and including the steps etc, I tried this a few times and also by adding products to keep the stain returning to the liner, these worked for a while but didn't stop the stain returning.

I have tried a different method, now I must say that I'm not a pool expert but the method below has worked for me and it's now three weeks and there's no trace of a stain :D

So, this is what I did:-

I turn my pool off in October so the water was cold, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with warm water.

The chlorine was 0 this is important because apparently it can stop AA from working, everything else was as normal.

I bought some Ascorbic Acid https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LOM2YLQ/ ... 11_TE_item and with the filter set to circulation added about half a pound, after a few hours check the stain as more may be needed until it's totally gone, best to leave overnight instead of adding too much from the start.

Once the stain has gone I switched the filter back to filtrate, I bought 3KG of hollow fibre polyester pillow stuffing, my skimmer has a basket, if yours hasn't then it's a good idea to get a cloth bag to put the fibres in, these are added to the skimmer and pushed down inside and just below the water line so it's possible to see that the water is still swirling and the fibres are not stopping the flow.

I changed the fibre every day until it was all used up, it's possible to re-use it by washing it out with clean warm water and then giving it a spin and a tumble dry, but don't put it in the washer as it will end up in clumps.

After a week, because the ph is usually lowered with AA, I raised it but very slowly, in my case, half a cup of ph raiser granules a day, I also raised the chlorine slowly.

It's now three weeks since I started, this morning I vacuumed the pool because there was some green algea buildup, but it's looking good and there's still no sign of a stain and the steps are "white".

From now on, periodically, for a week or so, I'm going to add fibre to the skimmer, just to keep things at bay, if it can filter metal then it should also filter small particles in the water.

I hope this helps, if I've forgotten anything please let me know.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: How to remove sequestered metal from water.

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 08:16

Time will tell as sequestered water can take a while before the sequestrant stops working
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 09:00

Something I forgot to mention, there was no visible staining on the fibers when they were removed for new ones, however, all the used fibers were put into a cloth bag, after a few days the bottom of the bag where the water collected was brown :)
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 11:09

Sounds interesting but could just be the water in the fibres leaching out
If it works it will be a good breakthrough
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 11:16

Well we shall know in another few weeks, the thing is, when I got the stain off the liner twice before it was back in a few days?

Interesting too that the fibers are hollow!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 13:36

Phil.c wrote:Well we shall know in another few weeks, the thing is, when I got the stain off the liner twice before it was back in a few days?

Interesting too that the fibers are hollow!

Did you add a sequestrant after the previous attempts
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 13:59

Yes, No more metal, but even if it worked for me it's not a fix as the sequestrant would need to be added for the long seeable future which is good earner for the pool supply people!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 16:41

The sequestrant should have lasted more than a couple of days
I have seen videos of that fibre product being used effectively but in a heavily contaminated brown water
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Sun 24 Nov, 2019 17:14

As I said the stain was back in a few days, probably four or five, my stain was not what I would call heavily contaminated, more of a light to medium brown stain, but everywhere.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Mon 23 Dec, 2019 03:09

The metal hasn't retuned to the liner at all and it's now close to five weeks so I would say that this method of removing sequestered metal from the pool works. :)
Poolswim
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: New owner

Postby Poolswim » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 13:51

Phil.c wrote:The metal hasn't retuned to the liner at all and it's now close to five weeks so I would say that this method of removing sequestered metal from the pool works. :)

Did your staining ever come back?
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Fri 28 Feb, 2020 20:04

Not in nearly eight weeks, after that the liner split, it took twenty years for this to happen :D So in answer to your question, No.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”