Brown steps

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
william

Brown steps

Postby william » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 14:52

[*]My pool steps keep turning back to brown after I get sparkling white.I had water tested and checks out good.could my filter sand be contaminated?Driving me crazy and getting costly.

ducky

Brown steps

Postby ducky » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 09:29

try scrubbing stairs with Scotch Brite Eraser pad by 3M....it worked for me.
wboss71
I'm new here
I'm new here

Brown steps

Postby wboss71 » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 20:05

Sometimes staining like you have described can happen as a result of metals (copper/iron etc) that are in the water slowly precipitating (or dropping out) of the water and on to the surface of the pool. You are able to remove the stains that occur (as you have said) but they quickly return because the process of metal dropping onto the surface keeps happening after you have cleaned them. Next time you go to the pool store ask them to do a metals test for you. This test will let you know if there are metals in your pool water.

If there is a presence of metals, one way to treat this is to use a good sequestering agent. These agents help keep the metals suspended in the water and help prevent them from staining the surface again. Two websites my be helpful for you to look at: www.thepoolstainremovers.com.au and www.lo-chlor.com.au the technical info on these sites may help narrow it down. Without seeing the pool it is hard to say for sure but I have seen this happen many times and sequestering agents and/or metal removers, have been the magic bullet needed to stop the stains from coming back.

Good Luck

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”