Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Ingemar
I'm new here
I'm new here

Silver stains

Postby Ingemar » Mon 14 May, 2012 08:38

I have a perhaps unique problem. On a large yacht we have a fiberglass pool of about 12 m3, and two outdoor jacuzzis. The potable water onboard is treated with Silver Ions to about 0.08 ppm for disinfection purposes.

As I understand it, this minute silver amount is enough to react with light when it comes up in the pool and cause a severe gray/black staining within hours. Even if nobody goes into the pool, and no chemicals are added the color changes and the stain can only be polished away.

The inside of icemakers, toilets etc inside the vessel has no staining what so ever, only outdoors in the fiber glass pools.

I see that Silver/copper is sometimes used for pool treatment. Would such installations also have the same problems??

Water quality is potable water straight from the towns distribution system, with the addition of the silver via electrolysis from an approved Silver ionizer. Silver levels is like I say, max 0.08 but more often between 0.03 and 0.06 ppm.

Any experience for others in this kind of problems??

TSH Tech

Silver stains

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 21 May, 2012 21:38

Yachts and swimming pools are a different animal, just as cooking on land differs from cooking on the high seas.

Just to clarify, silver treatment in swimming pools is a bactericide and copper treatment is an algaecide designed for plaster pools. With regards to land based fiberglass pools, these treatments are not recommended due to the staining problem, there are alternative powders to remove algae in fiberglass pools.

Back to yachts; you need to get the silver out of the pool water. If you are using the vessel's potable water supply as a means of topping off the hot tubs and pool, I would recommend a dedicated pool/spa water supply filter that will trap the silver before filling the pool.

If you'd like second opinions or perhaps somebody else has an alternative solution, perhaps the yacht community may know:
http://www.yachtforums.com
rosalind
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient
My Pool: Private pool with 3.7 × 7.3 m

Silver stains

Postby rosalind » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 00:53

Ingemar wrote:I have a perhaps unique problem. On a large yacht we have a fiberglass pool of about 12 m3, and two outdoor jacuzzis. The potable water onboard is treated with Silver Ions to about 0.08 ppm for disinfection purposes.

As I understand it, this minute silver amount is enough to react with light when it comes up in the pool and cause a severe gray/black staining within hours. Even if nobody goes into the pool, and no chemicals are added the color changes and the stain can only be polished away.

The inside of icemakers, toilets etc inside the vessel has no staining what so ever, only outdoors in the fiber glass pools.

I see that Silver/copper is sometimes used for pool treatment. Would such installations also have the same problems??

Water quality is potable water straight from the towns distribution system, with the addition of the silver via electrolysis from an approved Silver ionizer. Silver levels is like I say, max 0.08 but more often between 0.03 and 0.06 ppm.

Any experience for others in this kind of problems??

Brush the stained range. Smear the sock over the range using firm encumbrance and back-and-forth full swing. Complement this cleanse with the use of the long-handled brush of scrub. Between the two tools, you can rub the stains can remove totally.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”