Organic (Acorn) stains

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
gren

Organic (Acorn) stains

Postby gren » Thu 27 Sep, 2012 10:01

I have an outdoor pool with a large Oak tree nearby. During the Summer months squirrels drop many Acorns into the pool. While I scoop them out as fast as I can, they leave behind a brown stain that brushing does not remove.

I keep a very close watch on the chemical balance of my pool (~70k Litres, Sand Filter with a Marcite finish) as it is outdoors and used often, never allowing any stray results.

If anyone has an idea on how to remove these stains I would be most grateful.

coyote

Organic (Acorn) stains

Postby coyote » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 14:29

Spot Cleaning
Chlorine works very well to remove stains from the tannin in acorns. If you only have a few stains in your pool, the easiest and most effective way to clean is to use a chlorine tablet. Take a long pole and attach a chlorine tablet to the end of it either with wire or waterproof tape. Scrub the stain with the tablet and it will be removed.

Read more: Acorn Stain Removal | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5502347_acorn-s ... z27nIv1S00
TSH Tech

Organic (Acorn) stains

Postby TSH Tech » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 01:21

Suggestion: Cut down the offending oak tree, or make you pool an indoor pool.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9067

Oak trees are one of the top disastrous trees anyone could have hanging over their pool. I'm serious, I'm going to create a law!
:evil:
Jennifer Engelmeier

Organic (Acorn) stains

Postby Jennifer Engelmeier » Mon 01 Oct, 2012 08:27

Hello :)

If you aren't going to cut the tree down, an ozone generator can help. How? Ozone helps keep the tannins from settling and staining (process called micro-flocculation; or clumping). The other way is by breaking down combine chlorine, keeping chlorine free and available. This helps overall pool chemistry in general and keeps your chlorine available to help prevent staining. This is what customers in Texas would tell me when I worked at DEL Ozone (for 15 years). Good luck!
tbs409

Organic (Acorn) stains

Postby tbs409 » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 17:27

"Suggestion: Cut down the offending oak tree, or make you pool an indoor pool."

It's this kind of response that makes me worry about the 'gene' pool.
CharlotteEhle
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Organic (Acorn) stains

Postby CharlotteEhle » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 02:59

The most basic way is to shock, or super-chlorinate your pool. Make sure that walls and floor are brushed. Pour chlorine shock directly onto the blemishes. Only do this for plaster pools, as it is corrosive to vinyl-lined pools.
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Organic (Acorn) stains

Postby paulbest » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 02:53

The primary stage in removing organic pool stains is with a shock of chlorine in the pool. Add a heavy dose of chlorine and scrub the stain with a brush. In many cases, doing this will exterminate the stain completely. in addition, you have to ensure the balances of PH and alkanity of your pool. Ph should be between 7.4-7.6, while alkanity should be between 100-150 ppm.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”