or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
mom2theateam
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' round,

DE in my water Help

Postby mom2theateam » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 06:39

Last year our pool was extremely cloudy. After multiple trips to the pool store and LOTS of shock they were still telling me my water was perfect. Just cloudy. All levels were correct. It looked green in the pool but a glass of water just looked cloudy. Long story short...we found out at the end of the season that there were holes in our fingers in the filter...so all the DE I had been putting in was being pumped into the pool. We did not cover the pool for winter not knowing what we were going to do with it. Now it is gross and still cloudy. I am considering going with a sand filter this time around. Can I just use the sand filter to clean the de out of the pool or do I have to drain it and start over? And do I want a sand filter over a new DE filter? Our filter was only 4 years old...I don't want to have to buy a new one every four years.

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

DE in my water Help

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 07:46

Hi there,

What do you mean by "fingers"? From what you describe it sounds like part of your filter element could be damaged? If this is the case, buying a whole new filter is not necessary. You can replace the broken parts of your filter element for very little time, effort, and most important - little money! A new filter will cost hundreds of dollars! Being that the filter is only 4 years old I highly doubt it needs to be replaced. If you can post the make, model, and size of your filter I'm sure we can help you track down the parts you need to fix it.

Its very possible that your pool chemistry is good, but with a damaged element you have a lot of DE and debris blowing right back into the pool. So while your chemistry is balanced, the water is not filtering properly leaving the pool dirty.

-CG
mom2theateam
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' round,

DE in my water Help

Postby mom2theateam » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 08:00

We did check out buying just the fingers for the filter, (they are the long mesh type things that hang down in the filter. That is what the local pool place called them,) but there are a lot of fingers and they were not cost effective to replace. I want to say they were at least $3.00 or more each. It was a Hayward EC-50 DE filter system. I grew up with a pool but it was a sand filter...I have not loved DE. No matter what I am buying a new filter system, just not sure which one to buy and if I need to drain the pool and start over.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

DE in my water Help

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 13:30

Hello again,

OK, so you have one of the Hayward Perflex filters. It is a tedious job to replace the fingers, but really not that difficult. You're right - replacing them all is expensive but chances are there's only a few broken ones. Even just one broken finger can wreak all kinds of havoc on your pool water!

If you are really set on switching to a sand filter - you shouldn't need to drain the pool down, the new filter should clean most of that up for you. Just backwash frequently the first few days till the pool clears up. For a 24ft round pool, the Hayward S180 or S210 should be adequate.

Best of luck,

-CG

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”