Looking for opinions on what caused these stains in a gunite pool...

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Swimmingly
I'm new here
I'm new here

Looking for opinions on what caused these stains in a gunite pool...

Postby Swimmingly » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 21:42

Hi all,

I'm new to both this forum and pool ownership. I would like to get your experienced opinions on what might have caused these stains in my pool. I have a 7,000 gallon gunite pool which has been under the care of a local pool company. The pool is almost 2 years old (though I've only owned it a short time) and it has looked beautiful until very recently. I left town for 6 days and upon my return, I found these big splotchy stains in the bottom of the pool (some sprinkled stains on the steps too).

I'd appreciate your thoughts as to what could have caused this.

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Looking for opinions on what caused these stains in a gunite pool...

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 04:53

If your pool is under the care of a pool company why haven't they dealt with it unless you have taken it over yourself
I suspect that it is Algae as it only developed over 6 days
Try rubbing a trichlor puck over it and see if it removes it, if it does it's organic (algae) if not rub some ascorbic acid over it (vitamin C) if it does it's mineral (metal staining)
The other thing it could be Calcium. You would need to use Muriatic acid, pour a little over a shallow part of the pool (steps) and see if it goes. Don't leave it there to long as it will eat into your surfce
How do you test (strips and pool store numbers aren't that accurate)
Can you let us have a full set of numbers
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Pool chemicals:
My pump & filter:
Swimmingly
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Swimmingly » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 17:27

Thanks for the reply Dennis. The pool is still under the care of the pool company and I am trying to get them to rectify the issue. Since I am so new to pool ownership, I'm looking for second opinions. The pool company has been reluctant to take ownership of the issue.

Regarding the numbers, I can only provide you with what they provided me with just prior to and just after the stains appeared:
Prior to stains: 3.0 free chlorine, 3.0 total chlorine, 110 total alkalinity, and 7.8 PH
After stains: 1.0 free chlorine, 1.0 total chlorine, 100 total alkalinity, and 7.8 PH

I forgot to mention that there were no stains on the sides of the pool. Only the horizontal surfaces (bottom of the pool and steps) were stained as if something settled on them. The pool company blamed it on calcium but one of the pool guys blamed it on di-chlor and said "someone screwed up".
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:10

You don't mention CYA as the amount of Chlorine in your water is relative to your CYA and high CYA renders your chlorine ineffective
You don't mention what chemicals you use either
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

You really need to get a test kit and test yourself (Taylor or TFT)
If this only happened over 6 days and "someone screwed up" it's up to the pool company to sort it out as they have been dosing your pool with what ever chemicals were needed
BTW have you tried the steps I suggested

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”