Stonescapes blue finish turned black

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
fredpamm
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Two pools.
1. Gunite pool with Stonescapes finish (south)
2. Vinyl Liner Pool (North)

Stonescapes blue finish turned black

Postby fredpamm » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 18:32

I am having a problem with my pool finish. It is stonescapes midnight blue and over the past several months it has turned black. I called several months ago to my pool service company about the problem and they came out to treat the pool with Jack's Magic. When they started the black stain was on the stairs and on the seating. Now its everywhere.

I have had several pool companies come out and have done numerous tests on it and all were negative. No black algae, no metal staining nothing.

I am told by the manufacturer that a corrosive water chemistry will turn it black. my service company has all the records and nothing indicates corrosive.

Has anyone else had this problem with Stonescapes pebble finishes?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Stonescapes blue finish turned black

Postby Teapot » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 05:25

Welcome Fred,
I can't help on this, if various guys have been out and tested it then you have evidence of good water chemistry so back to the manufacturer and your home insurance legal cover by the sound of it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 03 Feb, 2018 11:13

Hi Fred
The problem is identifying what it is and that depends on the ability of the people testing it. I'm pretty amazed that these so called experts don't have an answer
It is always best to do your own testing (Taylor K2006C or TF100) but first crush some vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) tablets and place on a stained areas on a step and also place a chlorine puck on the steps but away from it. If the puck clears it, it's algae, if the vitamin C clears it, it's metal
Can you supply a complete set of numbers (maybe from a pool store) so that we know exactly what state your pool is in
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

BTW
What is the history of the pool and work done that could have caused it
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 04 Feb, 2018 08:13

Yes Dennis, I agree, barely met any real experts. If they were testing for metals and they had already plated out (stained) then they are unlikely to show up Fred, only those in solution show up. As Dennis suggests give a vit C tab a go and a chlorine puck.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”