Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Erin22
I'm new here
I'm new here

Iron in water

Postby Erin22 » Fri 01 Jul, 2005 23:41

I have a 15x3-1/2 ft easy set pool from wally world...and i also have LOTS of Iron in my well water...I've been battling with it for about a month now..went to a pool store and they gave me pool magnet and told me to put 7lbs of alkalinty plus in it..So I did..pool cleared up in no time..Still had a green tint to it..But, that was better than coffee brown..A few days later it turned brown again...I think it was because i put algeacide in it...So, there i go off to walmart to get Stain and scale remover and more alkalinty plus..(im a newbie)...Worked for about 2 wks..Then, I put MORE algeacide in it...it turned green..Sooo..about a week ago..I put MORE stain and scale remover and 7 more lbs of alkalinity plus in it..it stayed green...the metals settled to the bottom of the pool..and i was constantly cleaning my filter..But, the filter got to where not much brown was coming off of it...I would try to vacuum the metals off the bottom of the pool..But, that didnt work..Its like powder..I was told about a hose filter..went around to every hardware store and they looked at me like I was crazy..I've tried putting a sock over my water hose..EVERYTHING!!! Today I got tired of looking at the green and let all the water out of the pool..So, here's what I plan to do..Tomorrow when i am filling the pool again...Im gonna put bleach in..Then the stain and scale remover from wally world (or should I get the pool magnet again?) But, what about adding chemicals..like SHOCK? Thats gonna make my water brown again isnt it? I dont know..PLEASEEEEEE HELP!!!

Postby Guest » Thu 07 Jul, 2005 19:59

We have a well also and if we would fill our pool with that water it would be brown. I know of people who have done this and they have to drain the pool. You need something for the iron it sounds like to me. We have a water softner and run our water through it. I don't think you are to use soft water in a pool, but it stays clear. Right now I have a little bit of brown water that I am dealing with so I am looking for the answer also. I think I accidently added the hard water sometime.
Kim

Iron in water

Postby Kim » Sat 09 Jul, 2005 13:24

Here is what we did, we hauled our own water in from the ater plant here in town but when the pool was full we found out that the 'levels' at the plant (whatever that means) were off so our water was a greenish brown, a firend told me to put 10 gallons of clorox in the pool (ours is a 14000-15000 gallon above ground pool), the next day our pool looked like STRONG tea but each day it got better and better until about 4 days later it was crystal clear. Since then I have tried all the chemicals, PH plus, akalinity plus, shock so on and so on but I think I am going back to either sdtraight clorox or shocking it once a week. I have 2 friends that one does the clorox and one does the shock only, and their pools are the clearest pools I have ever seen. I figure that if people can swim in the lakes and PUBLIC pools then I know mine is OK too!!
Brian

Iron in water

Postby Brian » Wed 17 May, 2006 13:04

I battled iron in my well water for 2 years, then last year I had a guy come out and fill the pool with water from a tanker truck but that cost almost as much as the pool. (18x 48 blow up ring pool) Now I bought an Omnifilter with
a carbon filter in it from Menards hardware store for about $20.00. I think it is really to hook up under your sink for drinking water. It works great. I screwed my garden hose into it and filled the pool with the water coming directly out of the filter by hanging it over the inflated ring. For my gallon capacity I can get around four pool fills out of one filter and then it looks like I can just buy a replacement carbon filter for about $6.00.
ConfusedinMN
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Iron in water

Postby ConfusedinMN » Mon 05 Jun, 2006 20:22

Brian wrote:I battled iron in my well water for 2 years, then last year I had a guy come out and fill the pool with water from a tanker truck but that cost almost as much as the pool. (18x 48 blow up ring pool) Now I bought an Omnifilter with
a carbon filter in it from Menards hardware store for about $20.00. I think it is really to hook up under your sink for drinking water. It works great. I screwed my garden hose into it and filled the pool with the water coming directly out of the filter by hanging it over the inflated ring. For my gallon capacity I can get around four pool fills out of one filter and then it looks like I can just buy a replacement carbon filter for about $6.00.

Brian, can you still use shock or chlorine and keep it clear???? Thanks Jeff
debfunnell

Tea water pool!

Postby debfunnell » Wed 20 Aug, 2008 16:49

has any one found a solution to this problem?We have the same problem, bought a new above ground(intex) pools, filled it & added chlorine & it turned yellow, then brown immediatly.(We never had this problem with the old pool, same kind) Would it have to do with filling it in august, more metal in the water? We ended up draining it & Im refilling it now, but the water again is the color of weak tea..I dont know what to add or buy anymore!So frustrating.Should I just let it be & keep filtering it? Please Help! NOT Swimming & angry...!
Atomizer

Iron in water

Postby Atomizer » Sat 03 Jul, 2010 10:01

Brian wrote:I battled iron in my well water for 2 years, then last year I had a guy come out and fill the pool with water from a tanker truck but that cost almost as much as the pool. (18x 48 blow up ring pool) Now I bought an Omnifilter with

What model was the filter? I looked on their website and they have many models for under-sink filters.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”