Brown stain in pool spa

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Dan Campbell

Brown stain in pool spa

Postby Dan Campbell » Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:19

I'm trying to determine if the brown stain in my spa is algea, iron, or what ever. The stain formed while the pool was closed and no water was in the spa. Last winter after rain and snow melt made it necessary to empty some water out of the pool, I forgot about it and pumped a little more out than I wanted. Enough to take it below the spa floor. I didn't add any water and when it was time to open the pool there wasn't enough rain to bring it back into the spa. The spa was dry and it had this brown stain all over the plaster. We have always had a little brown around the drain in the bottom of the pool but generally most of the pool is not affected.

We have tried super shocking the spa by itself and lots of scrubbing. It has reduced some over the summer but mostly it is still there. Any thoughts?

Thanks - Dan

Re: Brown stain in pool spa

Postby Guest » Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:10

Vitamin C aka ascorbic acid. Rub it on the stain. If it goes away it's iron. Try that and report back.
curtisG

Postby curtisG » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 15:12

Anonymous wrote:Vitamin C aka ascorbic acid. Rub it on the stain. If it goes away it's iron. Try that and report back.

I had the same problem with my below ground pool, and doing the Vitamin C test did make the stain go away.

What chemicals do I need then to correct this Iron issue go away?

Thanks

--curtis
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 20:13

curtisG wrote:What chemicals do I need then to correct this Iron issue go away?

Any pool store will have "sequestrant"...usually called "Metal Out", "Metal Magnet", or some such. It's specifically for getting metals out of solution so they can be filtered.
curtisG

Postby curtisG » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 14:33

Backglass wrote:Any pool store will have "sequestrant"...usually called "Metal Out", "Metal Magnet", or some such. It's specifically for getting metals out of solution so they can be filtered.

Thanks for the feedback!!

--curtis
curtisG

Postby curtisG » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 14:36

Backglass wrote:Any pool store will have "sequestrant"...usually called "Metal Out", "Metal Magnet", or some such. It's specifically for getting metals out of solution so they can be filtered.

On a related question to the presence of Iron in my water...

I have no metal parts (other than the heater core in my MiniMax 400) that touch the water (i.e. no ladders, slides, etc...). So how does a build-up of 'metals' happen in a pool? I have a gunite inground pool if that matters.

--curtis
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 15:11

Your fill water could have metals in it, especially if it is well water.

You could have been using copper based algaecides.

Your pool store shock could have copper in it.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”