Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
ksbolen
I'm new here
I'm new here

Rusty water

Postby ksbolen » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 16:52

Just bought a new home with a 28 round above ground pool. The water was drained almost completely (not sure why) but the cover caved in mid-winter so we just took it off completely. I have been filling it gradually with the hose (well water) and I'm almost to the point of turning on the pump/filter. The water is green, black and down right ugly. I took a water sample in, but was told not to bother until I have the debris cleaned off the bottom (which I cant even see). Is my pool water salvageable or should I drain it completely to avoid my filter having to work overtime? I'm sure it is full of rust, algae and debris.

me_too

Re: Rusty water

Postby me_too » Tue 15 May, 2007 10:50

ksbolen wrote:Just bought a new home with a 28 round above ground pool. The water was drained almost completely (not sure why) but the cover caved in mid-winter so we just took it off completely. I have been filling it gradually with the hose (well water) and I'm almost to the point of turning on the pump/filter. The water is green, black and down right ugly. I took a water sample in, but was told not to bother until I have the debris cleaned off the bottom (which I cant even see). Is my pool water salvageable or should I drain it completely to avoid my filter having to work overtime? I'm sure it is full of rust, algae and debris.

You should try and eliminate the bigger debris either with a surface skimmer or a leaf net or by vacumming to waste.

Do have your pool water tested for iron. Well water can be high in pH, calcium hardness, alkalinity, iron and other metals. To avoid a mess (and a surprise) when adding chlorine, ask the pool store that this specific test be performed.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”