high copper

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
houston

high copper

Postby houston » Sun 27 May, 2007 14:58

I have an 8000 gallon gunite, salt pool that was put in one year ago. From day one the water has always tests extremely high in copper. We have already done two acid washes to remove stains from the plaster. One week after adding two bottles of metal out the copper level is back up to .4 What could be the cause? I am at wit's end.

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 27 May, 2007 19:31

Do you have a pool heater? If your ph has been too low, it could be the fittings in your pool heater that are corroding and putting copper in the water.
What does your fill water test to in copper?
houston

copper

Postby houston » Mon 28 May, 2007 11:43

Thanks. I do have a heater. I will get it checked.

This first started about a month after the pool was installed. Is that enough time for the heater to corrode?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 28 May, 2007 15:21

If you don't keep your pH and CH high enough, it could be corroding any copper fittings.

Test your water regularly and keep up on it.
micarobyn

Re: copper

Postby micarobyn » Mon 28 May, 2007 18:56

houston wrote:Thanks. I do have a heater. I will get it checked.

This first started about a month after the pool was installed. Is that enough time for the heater to corrode?

I too have a copper problem and it started about 1 month after the new pool heater was installed. I am told it is a faulty heat exchange and have just started on the acid treatment. Did this work for you?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 30 May, 2007 23:58

Acid treatment? What acid treatment? Acid brings down your pH and if it goes too low makes your water acidic and extremely corrosive to pool heaters.
houston

copper

Postby houston » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 12:42

We found that the only way to remove the stains on the plaster was to drain the pool and give the plaster an acid bath. Removes the stains, looks great, but is very hard on the plaster. This was a last resort to clean the stains.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”